Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I always grew up thinking that Spitting Image was cutting edge political and cultural

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I always thought Tarrant on TV was a bit edgy when I was a kid. Then I'd watch Clive James. What happened to him?
    He'd been on the way out, with cancer, for some time, last I heard. That was a while ago though.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There were four channels. People were much more forgiving when we only had four channels.

Mind you, Spitting Image lost any point once Mrs T left office. The point about 'satire' in the 80s was that she was an easy and popular target, since even a lot of those who voted for her didn't much like her - plus you got the feeling she didn't give a flying one what anyone thought of her. That made her a perfect, non-polarising satirical target.
    I don't think they lost their point; I reckon they just bottled it. Tony Blair, and his administration, was ripe for similar treatment, after all, but as that would have forced them to show their true political colours, their hearts weren't in it anymore.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I don't think they lost their point; I reckon they just bottled it. Tony Blair, and his administration, was ripe for similar treatment, after all, but as that would have forced them to show their true political colours, their hearts weren't in it anymore.
    It had that smug, sanctimonious git Ian Hislop at the epicentre too. I once knew someone who was at school with him. Said he was a ****.

They would have a field day now, though. Trump, Corbyn, Boris.........they couldn't fail to be funny even with crap scripts