Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I always grew up thinking that Spitting Image was cutting edge political and cultural

I always grew up thinking that Spitting Image was cutting edge political and cultural

satire.

Imagine my surprise when I caught an old clip online last night to discover that it was deeply unfunny, witless, light-weight, cliched ****e.

Amazing how long it took me to realise.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    satire.

Imagine my surprise when I caught an old clip online last night to discover that it was deeply unfunny, witless, light-weight, cliched ****e.

Your world has changed now, innit. Bantering off the parents is no longer so funny when one is also now a parent.

Blame Tony Blair. His election exposed this once and for all.
    Last edited by redgunamo; 08-30-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Your world has changed now, innit. Bantering off the parents is no longer so funny when one is also now a parent.

Blame Tony Blair. His election exposed this once and for all.
    Didn't they come up with a rather amusing brand of dog food though?

satire.

Standard lefty 'humour'. (Not funny.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Standard lefty 'humour'. (Not funny.)
    I quite liked the song about South Africans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Didn't they come up with a rather amusing brand of dog food though?
    Chunky Lumps.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I quite liked the song about South Africans.
    This is the clip I watched.

It's the horribly forced "turkey's voting for Christmas" gag at the end that really made me want to punch someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1l1XGiXgo0

This is the clip I watched.

It's the horribly forced "turkey's voting for Christmas" gag at the end that really made me want to punch someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1l1XGiXgo0
    There were four channels. People were much more forgiving when we only had four channels.

Mind you, Spitting Image lost any point once Mrs T left office. The point about 'satire' in the 80s was that she was an easy and popular target, since even a lot of those who voted for her didn't much like her - plus you got the feeling she didn't give a flying one what anyone thought of her. That made her a perfect, non-polarising satirical target.

satire.

I always thought Tarrant on TV was a bit edgy when I was a kid. Then I'd watch Clive James. What happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I always thought Tarrant on TV was a bit edgy when I was a kid. Then I'd watch Clive James. What happened to him?
    Clive James is forever writing articles about how he's dying in The Observer, but singularly refusing to actually fùcking die. He's been at it about five years now.

Weren't the Clive James thing and the Tarrant thing pretty much the same? Both late Sunday night and laughing at Japanese gameshows?