Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon out MONTY!!! We want to talk football with you

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Concerning or not, it is in no way new. Although I didnt watch the Liverpool game I bet it was no worse than others over the years. It cant have been any worse than the one where we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes. That one looked like the entire team was hungover and had just got out of bed.

Is any of this new/surprising/worse than the last ten years? I dont think it is.
    Our midfield has never looked as bad as it did in the Liverpool game, no matter how badly we played.

And in the past we've had injury excuses, new player excuses etc. Xhaka/Ramsey is his chosen pair and they were so dysfunctional it is worth commenting on.

Add in the absurdity of Ox being on the pitch and Bellerin at LWB instead of Saed and you have something pretty exceptional, even within the context of the last 7 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But surely a club could fall short of its values, of manners, respect and politeness when it comes contract negotiations?
    True enough. But the value isn't so much in always achieving the values to which one aspires, but in consistently trying to, surely?

There are many other clubs who have been perpetually unsuccessful for ten years or more, who have regularly changed their manager, and whose fans will often tell you that "nothing's changed" during that time.
    I am not sure there are actually. Certainly not clubs of our size. Even if there were, it doesn't really add much to the debate does it?

Anyway, I think my point was that we probably shouldn't be getting so upset about this type of chaos. We should be used to it and it is exactly why so many people want Wenger out. Essentially, I am sort of agreeing with you, in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Do they still do all that, post Hill Wood?
    I believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    True enough. But the value isn't so much in always achieving the values to which one aspires, but in consistently trying to, surely?
    There speaks a good Catholic boy!

I didn't see the Liverpool game - I was catching crabs with my son off Herne Bay pier. But by all accounts, I certainly wouldn't argue there was nothing to merit further analysis beyond three games.

I don't see why our net spend should matter at all. If we're happy with who we've signed, and happy with who we've sold, and we end up with a + net spend, then that is no reason to complain in and of itself.

Of course, if you're not happy with who we've bought and sold, then that's a different matter.
    The two players we signed started on the bench at Liverpool, a game which was similar in some ways to the 8-2, except we got nowhere near the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Our midfield has never looked as bad as it did in the Liverpool game, no matter how badly we played.

And in the past we've had injury excuses, new player excuses etc. Xhaka/Ramsey is his chosen pair and they were so dysfunctional it is worth commenting on.

Add in the absurdity of Ox being on the pitch and Bellerin at LWB instead of Saed and you have something pretty exceptional, even within the context of the last 7 years or so.
    Right, but we kind of know why some of that is currently happening, dont we. And it will be resolved shortly.

I think Monty's point is that we shouldn't think the rest of the season will be as bad as that. Of course it will be bad, but not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There speaks a good Catholic boy!
    Why the world is in such a mess.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The two players we signed started on the bench at Liverpool, a game which was similar in some ways to the 8-2, except we got nowhere near the 2.
    Shock horror, players just arrived in English football in "starting one of the opening games on the bench" sensation

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I believe so.
    I don't think we do the shirt sleeves thing any longer.

Noticed this a few games back.