Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: C'mon out MONTY!!! We want to talk football with you

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They were outsiders when they kicked off at home to Chelsea? Despite being in front with three games left and knowing even a draw would keep them ahead??
    Ok, fair enough, my memory of that season is a little out. Yes, Liverpool meaningfully challenged. But Spurs didn't.

[QUOTE=Burney;4176689]
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

Your tenses are wrong. Wenger showed he had the ability. Given a very different set of circumstances: a two-team league; a limited transfer market and talent pool, he was capable of putting together title-winning sides. It could be argued that, given less favourable circumstances, he has demonstrated that he does not have the ability anymore and that we ought therefore to look for someone who does. 12 years is far longer than most managers get at any club and, given that he set himself the goal of winning leagues by now, you would have to say he has failed on his own terms and that it's time to go.
    And I would add he had an intimate knowledge of French football at a time when French football was having a purple patch and before most clubs had world wide scouting networks.

How many trophies would Wenger have won without Vieira, Henry and Pires? Certainly no league titles, I think.

They were outsiders when they kicked off at home to Chelsea? Despite being in front with three games left and knowing even a draw would keep them ahead??
    One of the worst things about recent seasons has been having to be pleased when Chelsea win things rather than Liverpool or Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Ok, fair enough, my memory of that season is a little out. Yes, Liverpool meaningfully challenged. But Spurs didn't.
    I would have been delighted if we had done what Spurs did last season. They went far closer than we have done in a decade.

Meaningful or not, it was pretty impressive.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4176694]
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

And I would add he had an intimate knowledge of French football at a time when French football was having a purple patch and before most clubs had world wide scouting networks.

How many trophies would Wenger have won without Vieira, Henry and Pires? Certainly no league titles, I think.
    I have a lot of sympathy with much of what you say, so dont take this the wrong way; if you ever produce that little list again without including Dennis Bergkamp then I shall be mightily irritated to the point of not wishing to converse with you.

I shall let this first offence pass without further comment.

I would have been delighted if we had done what Spurs did last season. They went far closer than we have done in a decade.

This is the thing: we now have to live in a world where it is necessary even to consider the possibility of Spurs winning the league.

I mean, what the actual fúck is that about?

Spurs were 4 points back with 4 games left - that sounds like a challenge to me, I'd certainly take it after the last 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Spurs were 4 points back with 4 games left - that sounds like a challenge to me, I'd certainly take it after the last 10 years
    That would be like a dream. Almost close enough to be disappointed when you dont win it.

That would be like a dream. Almost close enough to be disappointed when you dont win it.
    Yeah. Remember being close enough to win a league and not doing so? Those were the days. I was young back then.

[QUOTE=Peter;4176699]
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

I have a lot of sympathy with much of what you say, so dont take this the wrong way; if you ever produce that little list again without including Dennis Bergkamp then I shall be mightily irritated to the point of not wishing to converse with you.

I shall let this first offence pass without further comment.
    Um, my point was that Wenger was very fortunate to have ended up with those players as he knew them well from his days in French football when they were junior players and he was able to buy them in no small part because other clubs didn't have the scouting networks available to them that would have been needed to discover them. Nowadays he would have a much harder time i.e. Mbappe.

Dennis wasn't relevant because he didn't buy him.

Good thing you never saw this, eh?

http://www.awimb.com/showthread.php?...11#post4176211