Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: C'mon out MONTY!!! We want to talk football with you

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Fine, but if Leicester can achieve it despite all that, how much worse does that make the fact that a team with our resources and talent hasn't done so for 12 years?

Let's be honest, if we'd played to our potential that season, we'd have won the league. The fact we didn't is actually a pretty savage indictment of the character and leadership of that team.
    Well, as I say, we are in good company. No-one else outside the hegemony has done it during that time either, however many managers they've gone through between them

[QUOTE=Monty92;4176676]Well, as I say, we are in good company. No-one else outside the hegemony has done it during that time either, however many managers they've gone through between them

Spurs bringing in Pocchettino rather than Harry Redknapp has hugely improved their chances of the league, though, no? From non-contenders, they're now contenders by virtue of changing managers. Do in other words, change can work, no?

[QUOTE=Burney;4176681]
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Well, as I say, we are in good company. No-one else outside the hegemony has done it during that time either, however many managers they've gone through between them

Spurs bringing in Pocchettino rather than Harry Redknapp has hugely improved their chances of the league, though, no? From non-contenders, they're now contenders by virtue of changing managers. Do in other words, change can work, no?
    Have I ever suggested that change can't work? I've consistently said that there's no reason in theory that replacing Wenger couldn't improve our chances of winning the league.

Whether or not Pocchetino is better equipped to turn Spurs into title winners than Wenger is to do the same at Arsenal remains to be seen. Just as Wenger has had plenty of time to show that he has what it takes, Pocchetino has had very little time at all. In other words, both have plenty to prove, in different ways.

But other sides have competed. We haven't. We are out of the race by spring. Every. Single. Year. Spurs and Liverpool have both fallen at the end but they have competed. And Leicester. Did we mention them?

So three clubs have competed. Each with less monies than Arsenal. But not Arsenal. Our record away from home against the top six is something like two wins out of the last 33 games.* Add Stoke as a bogey team and we generally **** our pants away to at least three teams with less money every season. We're just weak and fragile. Like a beautiful machine when every part is working harmoniously, but so easily broken and so difficult to repair.

*I many have got this completely wrong. was on MOTD apparently. Not that I'd watch that under the circs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    But other sides have competed. We haven't. We are out of the race by spring. Every. Single. Year. Spurs and Liverpool have both fallen at the end but they have competed. And Leicester. Did we mention them?

So three clubs have competed. Each with less monies than Arsenal. But not Arsenal. Our record away from home against the top six is something like two wins out of the last 33 games. Add Stoke as a bogey team and we generally **** our pants away to at least three teams with less money every season. We're just weak and fragile. Like a beautiful machine when every part is working harmoniously, but so easily broken and so difficult to repair.
    Cue jokes about my Rover not even being a beautiful machine.....

[QUOTE=Monty92;4176683]

Have I ever suggested that change can't work? I've consistently said that there's no reason in theory that replacing Wenger couldn't improve our chances of winning the league.

Whether or not Pocchetino is better equipped to turn Spurs into title winners than Wenger is to do the same at Arsenal remains to be seen. Just as Wenger has had plenty of time to show that he has what it takes, Pocchetino has had very little time at all. In other words, both have plenty to prove, in different ways.
    Im not really sure anyone feels that further proof is required where Wenger is concerned.

Whether Pocchetino can turn Spurs into title winners remains to be seen. He has certainly turned them into competitive title challengers from the mess of three years ago and produced the best Spurs side in the last 30 years. I cant wait for him to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

So three clubs have competed. Each with less monies than Arsenal. But not Arsenal. Our record away from home against the top six is something like two wins out of the last 33 games.* Add Stoke as a bogey team and we generally **** our pants away to at least three teams with less money every season. We're just weak and fragile. Like a beautiful machine when every part is working harmoniously, but so easily broken and so difficult to repair.

*I many have got this completely wrong. was on MOTD apparently. Not that I'd watch that under the circs.
    I don't think Spurs or Liverpool have meaningfully challenged for the title during the period you state. Liverpool got closest, but they remained outsiders until they lost their home game with Chelsea in April which basically killed their hopes. Spurs have not really got close at all.

[QUOTE=Monty92;4176683]

Whether or not Pocchetino is better equipped to turn Spurs into title winners than Wenger is to do the same at Arsenal remains to be seen. Just as Wenger has had plenty of time to show that he has the ability, Pocchetino has had very little time at all.
    Your tenses are wrong. Wenger showed he had the ability. Given a very different set of circumstances: a two-team league; a limited transfer market and talent pool, he was capable of putting together title-winning sides. It could be argued that, given less favourable circumstances, he has demonstrated that he does not have the ability anymore and that we ought therefore to look for someone who does. 12 years is far longer than most managers get at any club and, given that he set himself the goal of winning leagues by now, you would have to say he has failed on his own terms and that it's time to go.

I don't think Spurs or Liverpool have meaningfully challenged for the title during the period you state. Liverpool got closest, but they remained outsiders until they lost their home game with Chelsea in April which basically killed their hopes. Spurs have not really got close at all.
    They were outsiders when they kicked off at home to Chelsea? Despite being in front with three games left and knowing even a draw would keep them ahead??

[QUOTE=Monty92;4176683]

No, you never said that change couldn't work. But you did say that keeping Wenger was our best chance of building a dynasty.