Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon out MONTY!!! We want to talk football with you

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Your initial post on this:

'In other words, no club (whether they've stuck with the same manager or chopped and changed every year or two) has managed to successfully challenge the hegemony of clubs that have either been financially doped or have come from a historical base of being a far bigger and richer club. '

Arsenal on a historical basis are one the biggest clubs in England and we are currently one of the 10 richest clubs in the world. On that basis we would be part of the hegemony.

And please don't tell me that we can't compete with City and Chelsea's money. You aren't really desperate enough to fall back to that one after it has been proven to be such utter nonsense over and over again?
    Are you serious?? You think we could start spending that kind of money on a regular basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Pffft. They have won the league less times than Leicester since football was invented in 1992.
    I remember reading a Julian Barnes short story in which he imagined heaven. One of the impossible things that happened to him every day was that Leicester won the league. Because, of course, this did seem utterly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I remember reading a Julian Barnes short story in which he imagined heaven. One of the impossible things that happened to him every day was that Leicester won the league. Because, of course, this did seem utterly impossible.
    Fewer times, b. You let Ash off the hook there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Fewer times, b. You let Ash off the hook there.
    I did. Deliberately. I'm turning over a new leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I did. Deliberately. I'm turning over a new leaf.
    What happens if you turn over an old leaf?

Your initial post on this:

'In other words, no club (whether they've stuck with the same manager or chopped and changed every year or two) has managed to successfully challenge the hegemony of clubs that have either been financially doped or have come from a historical base of being a far bigger and richer club. '

Arsenal on a historical basis are one the biggest clubs in England and we are currently one of the 10 richest clubs in the world. On that basis we would be part of the hegemony.

And please don't tell me that we can't compete with City and Chelsea's money. You aren't really desperate enough to fall back to that one after it has been proven to be such utter nonsense over and over again?
    I don't know how close we now are to being able to match them financially nowadays - I'd certainly be very surprised if we're on a par.

But I think a strong legacy factor is at play that makes them more attractive than us, and that is due to factors partly out of our control. I think this holds back Liverpool and Spurs as well.

Are you serious?? You think we could start spending that kind of money on a regular basis?
    No, I meant that you can compete with a club on the pitch without spending the same amount i.e. Leicester, Dortumund, AM and Arsenal 97-04

What happens if you turn over an old leaf?
    Groundhog day innit.

No, but I think his point is that we could conceivably start competing with them at football on a regular basis, regardless of spending money.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

No, I meant that you can compete with a club on the pitch without spending the same amount i.e. Leicester, Dortumund, AM and Arsenal 97-04
    These examples show that it is a possibility, not that it is a given. Or a slam-dunk as your sort would put it.