People are banging on about it being 'good for the game' and 'great for West Indies cricket'.

Both those things may be true - indeed I have sympathy for those views. However, it is not Joe Root's job to do what's 'good for the game' and it certainly isn't his job to help out West Indian cricket. His job is to win test matches and test series for England. Failing that, his job is not to lose those matches and series. He declared when England had the chance to bat WI out of the game completely and make them bat on the last day with no chance of winning (always harder than when you have an achievable target). His decision to declare when we were 1-0 up in a three-match series was unnecessarily reckless and demonstrably misjudged, since WI achieved the target.

Root fúcked up badly in his job as England cricket captain. And, while I may be personally glad the West Indies won the game, that doesn't alter my fear that Root's decision suggests flawed judgement on his part. My guess is that he was just trying to impose his character on the captaincy after Cook's risk-averse period in charge, but that - while understandable on a personal level - is no excuse.

Hopefully he'll learn from it. But if he pulls a move that stupid in the Ashes, he will get crucified for it - and rightly so.