Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eating alone - when I was young I thought it was horribly sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I used to hate it personally.

12 weeks I lived in the Thistle Hotel on Central Street, like a more upmarket Irish Alan Partridge.

“Fúck me, must be great to live in a hotel” my colleagues would say.

Take away kebab maybe then by 9pm sat at the bar again, just me and the barman. On a Tuesday. Beezer.
    I worked there for 2 weeks that was enough.

Never at the bar B.
    I admire a man who has a code, sw.

When I first came to England I worked for about a year and a half at a software house in Farringdon. It was so incompetently managed that I used to take 2 hour lunches as there was so little to do. I'd go to a place called the Betsy Trotwood early doors when no one else was there and chat to the landlord and consume 3-4 pints of bitter, packet of cheese and onion crisps (as a starter), a ham sandwich with chips and on occasion a cheese board to finish.

It was during the England/Saffie test series when Atherton batted for two days, probably 96? The landlord explained test cricket to me and I developed a love for it, bitter and Coleman's mustard which I lathered all over the bread before eating my sandwich.

The good ole days

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    When I first came to England I worked for about a year and a half at a software house in Farringdon. It was so incompetently managed that I used to take 2 hour lunches as there was so little to do. I'd go to a place called the Betsy Trotwood early doors when no one else was there and chat to the landlord and consume 3-4 pints of bitter, packet of cheese and onion crisps (as a starter), a ham sandwich with chips and on occasion a cheese board to finish.

It was during the England/Saffie test series when Atherton batted for two days, probably 96? The landlord explained test cricket to me and I developed a love for it, bitter and Coleman's mustard which I lathered all over the bread before eating my sandwich.

The good ole days
    A cheese board, in a pub, in 1996.

Good lord.

A cheese board, in a pub, in 1996.

Good lord.
    It was some cheese on a plate with some savoury biscuits and a bit of bread and butter.

Cheese board may be an overstatement.

I used to play gigs downstairs at the Betsey. Great little place. Like the Hope & Anchor in Islington but even more intimate. You're basically standing in the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I used to play gigs downstairs at the Betsey. Great little place. Like the Hope & Anchor in Islington but even more intimate. You're basically standing in the audience.
    Yeah loved it back then. Went back a few years ago when I was in the area and it's now a gastro pub (restaurant) effectively.

May have had braised pork belly on the menu.

Yeah loved it back then. Went back a few years ago when I was in the area and it's now a gastro pub (restaurant) effectively.

May have had braised pork belly on the menu.
    Pork belly is tremendous

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Pork belly is tremendous
    Yeah but it has no place in a pub. Not a proper one, anyway.