Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BookWIMB. I've come a little late to Robert Harris but I must say I am enjoying

BookWIMB. I've come a little late to Robert Harris but I must say I am enjoying

the Cicero Trilogy immensely ( half way through Lustrum ).

Although there are no lovable rascals of Flashman's ilk, the GMF technique of weaving a ripping yarn around meticulously researched history is employed to great effect.

What are you reading just now AWIMB and why should I read it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post

Although there are no lovable rascals of Flashman's ilk, the GMF technique of weaving a ripping yarn around meticulously researched history is employed to great effect.

Fatherland is Harris' best work by some distance.

I am curently just finishing the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr. Our hero Bernie is a murder detective in Berlin in 1933, and we follow his career through the war, his service in the SS on the eastern front, his escape from a Russian POW camp and return to police service in Berlin, flight to Cuba, kidnap by the CIA, all bloody sorts happens to the poor bugger.

The Illustrated History of Football - David Squires

I like to immerse myself in the beautiful game.

I have until now eschewed Fatherland because I felt the premiss was too ridiculous but will certainly give it a shot after this trilogy because the man's the absolute gift of the tale. As I reach for the Kindle at bedtime I feel I am about to be transported to Rome circa 50 BC. I can see it, hear it, smell it and actually feel it.

I have until now eschewed Fatherland because I felt the premiss was too ridiculous but will certainly give it a shot after this trilogy because the man's the absolute gift of the tale. As I reach for the Kindle at bedtime I feel I am about to be transported to Rome circa 50 BC. I can see it, hear it, smell it and actually feel it.
    Fatherland was also made into a rather good film with Rutger Hauer.

He's a dreadful Islington leftie, of course. And brother-in-law to Nick Hornby of this parish.

You lying bog dweller. You are on your seventh, and doomed to failure, attempt to read and actually comprehend Ulysees so you can hold your own conversationally in those Dublin bars frequented by the Irish intelligentsia*

*oxymoron

I'm not sure the Hauer fella can actually act. I suspect he struts around grunting manfully and people consider him to be terribly 'method'. Bit like Bronson.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The Illustrated History of Football - David Squires

I like to immerse myself in the beautiful game.
    Lefty. Squires, not you.

I call 'em as I see 'em.

I've got tickets to watch the adapted Cicero trilogy at Stratford.

I am currently reading The Kalevala, a book about Latvia and Marx's Capital.

Just finished "Put me back on the bike" the story of the cyclist Tom Simspon who died on Mount Ventoux. They sure knew how to dope back then. Half a bottle of brandy and some barbiturates.