Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Formations,Tactics and Transfers

Formations,Tactics and Transfers

This may be long winded but it should have been said to Wenger by a DOF which we were promised.

Formations, we have not won the League since ditching the 4-4-2 formation, at the time Wenger stated that we had to alter to 4-3-3 to compete in the champions league
    Against better teams or our 2 man central midfield would get outnumbered. I except this may be the case against better teams but why not revert to 4-4-2 against all but the top 7 in the League.
    4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 did not work as we conceded to many goals, this is not down to the system but the players and the tactics, it’s not surprising that we concede goals if both full backs bomb forward
    In these systems at the same time and we have no defensive aware midfield players.
    We revert to 3-4-3 only because we are not defensively drilled as a back 4 and we have players who are too afraid to through their body in the way whether the ball is on the floor or in the air
    If we alter formations in different teams it must make it harder for opposing manager to plan against us.

Tactics, Scrap Zonal marking at corners and free kicks, it just doesn’t work especially when you have a small team like ours, only send one full back forward at any time and get the defensive midfield forward player to cover him , I seem to remember this worked fine with Dixon/Winterburn, playing a 4-4-2 should mean the wingers provide the width with the full back on the side of the ball being able to provide the overlap. 4-4-3 worked fine with a mixture of Vieira, Petit, Edu, Gilberto as the central 2
    If players aren’t performing substitute them, how the hell did Ozil play 90 mins against Stoke especially when we were losing, why remove lacazette when 1 nil down
    4 goals conceded so far this season, all 4 our fault, 2 from balls given away by xhaka in midfield, Ramsey was the most forward player against Stoke when the ball was lost leaving 4 breaking on 4. The other 2 goals from corners that were conceded because players didn’t clear the ball properly from open play a minute or 2 earlier.
    Why are we playing 2 left backs as centre backs when BFG and Holding are available. I can see why the Ox and Bellerin played as RWB and LWB in the chosen system as Bellerin’s delivery and goal scoring potential are limited so might as well play Ox on his favoured side, however why not take off Bellerin when reverting to a back 4 and move Kolsainac too LWB

Transfers, firstly we can’t throw away 130 mill if Sanchez 70 Mill, Ox 40 Mill and Ozil 20 Mil don’t sign new contracts, although I wouldn’t want to keep Ozil anyway but maybe we can get more for him if Barcelona are struggling to get in replacements. Secondly why are so many players in their last year of contract’s this may cost the club a fortune and Wenger should be accountable for this. Thirdly, Wenger never wants to
    But more and 2-3 players each year, this will not be the case next year should all players in their last year of contract not sign new ones, in which case you may as well buy in as many as possible now this will
    Give them all one year to gel as let’s face it this year’s performance will be no better than last year’s, also the prices will only go up next year for new recruits.
    Dein should have been bought in to deal with all transfers. Fringe players will have to be sold for reduced prices as teams are unwilling to pay their inflated wage packets.

Players already recruited or required

Kolsainac Free
    Lacazette 50 mil
    Van Djik 60 mil
    Koulibaly 60 mil
    Carvalho 40 mil
    Draxler 35 mil
    Lemar 50 mil

Net Spend 295 Mil

Players Sold or to be sold

Szczenzy 10 mil
    Gabriel 10 mil
    Debuchy 5 mil
    Gibbs 5 mil
    Mustafi 30 mil
    Campbell 10 mil
    Chambers 20 mil
    Ox 40 mil
    Ozil 20 mil
    Sanchez 70 mil
    Perez 10 mil
    Wilshere 20 Mil

Net income 250 Mil

23 Man squad will be:-

Cech, Ospina
    Bellerin, Kolsainac, Monreal
    BFG, Holding Koscielny, Van Djik, Koulibaly
    Ramsey,Xhaka,Santi,Carvalho, Elneny,Coquelin, Iwobi, Draxler, Lemar
    Giroud, Walcott, Lacazette, Welbeck

This enables us to play any formation.

4-4-2 Cech Bellerin Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Lemar Draxler Lacazette Giroud

4-4-3 Cech Bellerin Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Lemar Draxler Lacazette Walcott

4-2-3-1 Cech Bellerin Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Draxler Lemar Lacazette Giroud

3-4-3 Cech Koscielny Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Bellerin Draxler Lacazette Lemar

Next year new Goalkeeper, Right Back and another Central Midfielder

And Finally the Wenger out brigade haven’t suddenly reappeared after one defeat, the 4-3 opening day win just papered over the cracks, we didn’t want him at all after his contract run out last year, there has been no change, what happening to the catalyst, and why did Wenger lie about Lacazette’s offside goal, we may think it unlucky to be disallowed but it was technically offside, no mention from him about Welbeck’s Goal against Leicester maybe being offside or Ozil’s handball which resulted in the corner for our winning goal, all it does is open us up to twitter abuse from the Stoke Police Force.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunW View Post
    This may be long winded but it should have been said to Wenger by a DOF which we were promised.

Formations, we have not won the League since ditching the 4-4-2 formation, at the time Wenger stated that we had to alter to 4-3-3 to compete in the champions league
    Against better teams or our 2 man central midfield would get outnumbered. I except this may be the case against better teams but why not revert to 4-4-2 against all but the top 7 in the League.
    4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 did not work as we conceded to many goals, this is not down to the system but the players and the tactics, it’s not surprising that we concede goals if both full backs bomb forward
    In these systems at the same time and we have no defensive aware midfield players.
    We revert to 3-4-3 only because we are not defensively drilled as a back 4 and we have players who are too afraid to through their body in the way whether the ball is on the floor or in the air
    If we alter formations in different teams it must make it harder for opposing manager to plan against us.

Tactics, Scrap Zonal marking at corners and free kicks, it just doesn’t work especially when you have a small team like ours, only send one full back forward at any time and get the defensive midfield forward player to cover him , I seem to remember this worked fine with Dixon/Winterburn, playing a 4-4-2 should mean the wingers provide the width with the full back on the side of the ball being able to provide the overlap. 4-4-3 worked fine with a mixture of Vieira, Petit, Edu, Gilberto as the central 2
    If players aren’t performing substitute them, how the hell did Ozil play 90 mins against Stoke especially when we were losing, why remove lacazette when 1 nil down
    4 goals conceded so far this season, all 4 our fault, 2 from balls given away by xhaka in midfield, Ramsey was the most forward player against Stoke when the ball was lost leaving 4 breaking on 4. The other 2 goals from corners that were conceded because players didn’t clear the ball properly from open play a minute or 2 earlier.
    Why are we playing 2 left backs as centre backs when BFG and Holding are available. I can see why the Ox and Bellerin played as RWB and LWB in the chosen system as Bellerin’s delivery and goal scoring potential are limited so might as well play Ox on his favoured side, however why not take off Bellerin when reverting to a back 4 and move Kolsainac too LWB

Transfers, firstly we can’t throw away 130 mill if Sanchez 70 Mill, Ox 40 Mill and Ozil 20 Mil don’t sign new contracts, although I wouldn’t want to keep Ozil anyway but maybe we can get more for him if Barcelona are struggling to get in replacements. Secondly why are so many players in their last year of contract’s this may cost the club a fortune and Wenger should be accountable for this. Thirdly, Wenger never wants to
    But more and 2-3 players each year, this will not be the case next year should all players in their last year of contract not sign new ones, in which case you may as well buy in as many as possible now this will
    Give them all one year to gel as let’s face it this year’s performance will be no better than last year’s, also the prices will only go up next year for new recruits.
    Dein should have been bought in to deal with all transfers. Fringe players will have to be sold for reduced prices as teams are unwilling to pay their inflated wage packets.

Players already recruited or required

Kolsainac Free
    Lacazette 50 mil
    Van Djik 60 mil
    Koulibaly 60 mil
    Carvalho 40 mil
    Draxler 35 mil
    Lemar 50 mil

Net Spend 295 Mil

Players Sold or to be sold

Szczenzy 10 mil
    Gabriel 10 mil
    Debuchy 5 mil
    Gibbs 5 mil
    Mustafi 30 mil
    Campbell 10 mil
    Chambers 20 mil
    Ox 40 mil
    Ozil 20 mil
    Sanchez 70 mil
    Perez 10 mil
    Wilshere 20 Mil

Net income 250 Mil

23 Man squad will be:-

Cech, Ospina
    Bellerin, Kolsainac, Monreal
    BFG, Holding Koscielny, Van Djik, Koulibaly
    Ramsey,Xhaka,Santi,Carvalho, Elneny,Coquelin, Iwobi, Draxler, Lemar
    Giroud, Walcott, Lacazette, Welbeck

This enables us to play any formation.

4-4-2 Cech Bellerin Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Lemar Draxler Lacazette Giroud

4-4-3 Cech Bellerin Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Lemar Draxler Lacazette Walcott

4-2-3-1 Cech Bellerin Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Draxler Lemar Lacazette Giroud

3-4-3 Cech Koscielny Van Djik Koulibaly Kolsainac Carvalho Ramsey Bellerin Draxler Lacazette Lemar

Next year new Goalkeeper, Right Back and another Central Midfielder

And Finally the Wenger out brigade haven’t suddenly reappeared after one defeat, the 4-3 opening day win just papered over the cracks, we didn’t want him at all after his contract run out last year, there has been no change, what happening to the catalyst, and why did Wenger lie about Lacazette’s offside goal, we may think it unlucky to be disallowed but it was technically offside, no mention from him about Welbeck’s Goal against Leicester maybe being offside or Ozil’s handball which resulted in the corner for our winning goal, all it does is open us up to twitter abuse from the Stoke Police Force.
    I like your thinking, Shaun. One minor point - I don't believe 4-4-3 is allowed.

Otherwise, I make you right. (Except you can't sell all the team and buy a whole new one.)

Have you thought about playing Football Manager Shaun?

Can you run your plan through the simulator, play this season and let us know how you get on please?

Thanks

Ox 40 mil

Good man Shaun.

I quite like 3-4-3 because it provides a suitable platform for dealing with the 4231 and the counter attacking strategies employed in that formation but I've noticed quite a few teams switching to a back 3 now so maybe the 4-4-2 will be back in fashion at some point.

I think the problem is for some reason Wenger decided to get cute and stopped using powerful workhorses like Vieira, Gilberto, Petit, Edu and Parlour and opted for the shorter, weaker, flashier attacking types which didn't work in the old 442.

I've got no idea why we won't go for a player like Carvallho but instead opt for a flashier attacking type like Lamar or that Seri guy.

Even up front we lost out...we always had 1 guy playing off the main striker i.e. DB10, Kanu, van Persie and Wiltord but the 4231 ruined that because suddenly strikers became attacking midfielders and Wenger had an entire squad of midget attacking midfielders to use.

At least the 343 goes some way to addressing these issues.

You jeer and you jest c but I believe he has a plan. Would anybody seriously notice if we snuck an extra man on? Especially, as Shaun has observed, we are a team of dwarves.