Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Peter, I know your interest in pursuing this conversation any further is limited,

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Can't we all just be friends? I appreciate you've had a drink, but there's no need to get punchy. For a start your wife will be confused if you use up all your aggression before you get home. #punchthewifeandpissinthewardrobe
    You, Sir, are a disgrace.

How dare you level such accusations against my Irish friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You, Sir, are a disgrace.

How dare you level such accusations against my Irish friend.
    Don't blame me, p. I'm not a simple genetic organism designed to turn Guinness into piss

It is certainly how it read.

What you write above is not a new proposition. It’s the quintessential paradox of western political philosophy- freedom in the first person and freedom from the second.

The law has traditionally (not so much recently) tended to focus on the separation of thought from deed. You can believe any old cobblers you choose and it will not impact on my liberty unless you act on it. One could argue here that the problem is not that these men have an appalling attitude to young white girls, it’s that they acted on that by raping them. You may also blame me (or the liberals) for the fact that they felt that they would get away with it.

I could point out the irony of you challenging beliefs based on these outcomes while at the same time being ultra critical of any modern law that attempts to tell us what we are allowed to believe or attempts to criminalise any action that is deemed to be based on belief. Thus common assault is commonly a slap on the wrist- give the CPO the slightest notion that the assault may have been motivated by race and it becomes racially-aggravated public order with a possible two year prison sentence.

You can’t have it both ways. If we are to go down the road of telling people what they can and can’t think then we must all travel together. And of course that works both ways- I am not saying that it is fine to pass laws telling us we have to like benders while at the same time excluding Muslims from it.

This is, of course, a legal perspective. The rule of law MUST trump all other beliefs, faith-based or otherwise. That is surely the crucial difference between us here in the West (with our separation of church and state) and them in their various ****holes where religion still dominates or explicitly rules.

The rule of law, b. Always a vote winner
    I'm aware that the proposition is not a new one. And I'm aware of the importance of the primacy of the rule of law. However, there are are a couple of wrinkles thrown up by Islam.

The most fundamental wrinkle is that in the increased and increasing Islamic presence in the UK we are dealing with an existential threat to the very society whose laws you wish to see upheld. It's not like the IRA, who just wanted a united Ireland, or the NF, who just didn't like darkies. We are dealing with a large and growing demographic, many of whom hold abhorrent views and hold no brief for our system, who will come to wield increasing democratic power in the years to come and will have an ever-increasing degree of influence over our law-making. This is not a theoretical possibility, it is, at current demographic trends, a statistical certainty.

So you see the primacy of the rule of law is a splendid notion, but that law is not immutable. It is going to change to suit the changing demographics. And, while you and I may be spared the worst of it, our children and grandchildren look likely to have to live with a very different - and much less liberal - society to the one in which we grew up. Already we are seeing how what we took to be liberal fundamentals - intolerance of anti-semitism, gay rights, women's rights, child protection - are being compromised and undermined to pander to muslim communities who choose not to observe such niceties.

Because, of course, the rule of law is only effective when the law is applied evenly and without prejudice. That is not the case at the moment. Blind eyes and deaf ears have been being turned to muslim communities for decades now, which has facilitated everything from fatwahs and mass rape through honour killings and female infanticide to female genital mutilation. These practices are taking place now and they are not being treated with the seriousness they deserve. Why? Because there is a fear of the charge of racism, but also because there's a vested interest for some politicians in allowing these practices to continue just so long as the votes keep coming.

This stuff is happening now. It's still early-ish days, but it's happening and it's getting worse rather than better. So what do we do? Sit back and watch as 1,500 years of progress is torn down in the name of diversity while telling ourselves how tolerant we are? Or shout that the building's on fire in the hope that someone - anyone - might listen?
    Last edited by Burney; 08-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Can't we all just be friends? I appreciate you've had a drink, but there's no need to get punchy. For a start your wife will be confused if you use up all your aggression before you get home. #punchthewifeandpissinthewardrobe
    I shall report you for hate stuff if you do not immediately desist and apologise.

Don't think I won't!!

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I shall report you for hate stuff if you do not immediately desist and apologise.

Don't think I won't!!
    Aww, I'm only joshing mate, don't lose your spuds over it

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post

Don't think I won't!!
    For the record, Sir C is much more Irish than me. More than half my blood is English, which cancels out the Irish, whereas I'm not sure his Dutch blood is strong enough to withstand the genetic assault that is Irishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm aware that the proposition is not a new one. And I'm aware of the importance of the primacy of the rule of law. However, there are are a couple of wrinkles thrown up by Islam.

The most fundamental wrinkle is that in the increased and increasing Islamic presence in the UK we are dealing with an existential threat to the very society whose laws you wish to see upheld. It's not like the IRA, who just wanted a united Ireland, or the NF, who just didn't like darkies. We are dealing with a large and growing demographic, many of whom hold abhorrent views and hold no brief for our system, who will come to wield increasing democratic power in the years to come and will have an ever-increasing degree of influence over our law-making. This is not a theoretical possibility, it is, at current demographic trends, a statistical certainty.

So you see the primacy of the rule of law is a splendid notion, but that law is not immutable. It is going to change to suit the changing demographics. And, while you and I may be spared the worst of it, our children and grandchildren look likely to have to live with a very different - and much less liberal - society to the one in which we grew up. Already we are seeing how what we took to be liberal fundamentals - intolerance of anti-semitism, gay rights, women's rights, child protection - are being compromised and undermined to pander to muslim communities who choose not to observe such niceties.

Because, of course, the rule of law is only effective when the law is applied evenly and without prejudice. That is not the case at the moment. Blind eyes and deaf ears have been being turned to muslim communities for decades now, which has facilitated everything from fatwahs and mass rape through honour killings and female infanticide to female genital mutilation. These practices are taking place now and they are not being treated with the seriousness they deserve. Why? Because there is a fear of the charge of racism, but also because there's a vested interest for some politicians in allowing these practices to continue just so long as the votes keep coming.

This stuff is happening now. It's still early-ish days, but it's happening and it's getting worse rather than better. So what do we do? Sit back and watch as 1,500 years of progress is torn down in the name of diversity while telling ourselves how tolerant we are? Or shout that the building's on fire in the hope that someone - anyone - might listen?
    We enforce the law, b. Whatever it takes- you know, like in Mississippi Burning.

I think the muslim population stands at roughly 5% in the UK. I think it will be a little while before they overcome us completely.

The key really is to get them to come for a beer. I keep saying it, but none of you ****ing listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    For the record, Sir C is much more Irish than me. More than half my blood is English, which cancels out the Irish, whereas I'm not sure his Dutch blood is strong enough to withstand the genetic assault that is Irishness.
    That is the worst thing you've ever said.

We enforce the law, b. Whatever it takes- you know, like in Mississippi Burning.

I think the muslim population stands at roughly 5% in the UK. I think it will be a little while before they overcome us completely.

The key really is to get them to come for a beer. I keep saying it, but none of you ****ing listen!
    I did, and commented on it, implicitly pointing out that they don't, on the whole, drink.

Not sure what the % needs to be before Islamist political parties start winning seats. Only needs a few to be asked to form a coalition, as we have seen to the displeasure of the left-footers in the six counties. What will the athletics team be called next?

That is the worst thing you've ever said.
    Did you ever get your passport?