Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I only saw the first half, but I thought we looked rather fine going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    There is certainly no reason for losing the plot as it is but one game / one defeat.

One could look at certain elements of the manager’s thinking and wonder what the fúck he was doing, specifically in defensive selections, but you know he is in charge and all that. One could maybe ask if he really has got the midfield balance right and if he has not after so long when he is going to do so.

Thing is, we are both intelligent chaps, so we both are 100% aware that more or less every defeat this season will see a reaction perhaps not in line with the cause, a resurrection of the ill feeling that pervaded last season and a continued questioning of the decision to give the man a new two year deal.

In summary, the season is going to be one long fúcking ball ache.
    Surely this is no surprise, though? We've signed two players and look likely to have lost our top scorer. Were we expecting to be notably better given this?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    people are happy with 70% of the ball, regardless of whether it actually gets you anywhere or not.
    Which people are these, redg? Apart from AW, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Which people are these, redg? Apart from AW, of course.
    Oh, they're everywhere!

The only ones playing the sort of Cassandra-role here seem to be me and Thierry Henry.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I would say the non penalty was the main reason..... offside was correct, but he was lucky in it being correct.

Biggest problem was our manager picking defenders out of position.. and then blaming the defence
    Linesman clearly guessed, no way he could have seen it and the frame before (seen on t'internet) when Giroud actually touches it shows he was onside. The non-penalty cost us, hurry up VAR

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Surely this is no surprise, though? We've signed two players and look likely to have lost our top scorer. Were we expecting to be notably better given this?
    No surprise but then Ivan promised us change etc.

As it stands change seems to be the appointment of Lehmann in a background role and a rather dapper looking third kit which is worn as an away kit.

I expect Sanchez to be sold in the next 10 days which will lead to **** being lost all throughout the Arsenal family.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Linesman clearly guessed, no way he could have seen it and the frame before (seen on t'internet) when Giroud actually touches it shows he was onside. The non-penalty cost us, hurry up VAR
    The introduction of the VAR may well have resulted in the goal being awarded as replays in post-match analysis were adjudged by as many experts as vindicating the decision as those who said the goal should have stood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Clearly Xhaka was having a 'mare and Ozil hasn't really got going yet, but overall it seemed to me that we were heading for a relatively routine victory.

What went wrong?
    Every time we lost the ball (and we decided to do that a lot) everybody was out of position. This was very nearly a problem several times in the first half that you watched. In the second half we managed to combine that with about three mistakes at once to gift them a goal.

All the chances we created either fell to Wellbeck (say no more) or found a referee/linesman who was blind to a foul but managed to spot offsides that were not there.

Its no disaster. Just a standard defeat we have seen many, many times before over the last 12 years. Another to come next weekend.

Two more years to go…..

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Anyone surprised by this game needs to see a doctor. It was the least surprising sequence of events imaginable. It couldn't have been more Wenger-like if someone had scripted it.

Our approach to going 1 down was to begin attacks at the speed of a Per
    Wait until the opposition were in four banks of four and then pass the ball back to them
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Clearly Xhaka was having a 'mare and Ozil hasn't really got going yet, but overall it seemed to me that we were heading for a relatively routine victory.

What went wrong?
    The problem with looking good going forward is that it is rather irrelevant if we don't score. Score we must because we are likely to concede at some point in the game.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman