Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Simon Jenkins article on the importance of doing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Christ! What do you agree with Donald Trump about?
    Tearing down statues.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I have no idea who the bloke is but the article veers between stupid and pointless, frequently embracing both.

Who gives a **** if we have to put up a few barriers?

This statue stuff in America is annoying the **** out of me as well, not least because I have ended up agreeing with Donald ****ing Trump......
    Well this is sort of the thing with the polarisation of US politics. After a while, almost any sane human being is forced into a situation where they have to either agree with Donald Trump or tacitly endorse the lunacy that is rife among his opponents. It's how he won the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well this is sort of the thing with the polarisation of US politics. After a while, almost any sane human being is forced into a situation where they have to either agree with Donald Trump or tacitly endorse the lunacy that is rife among his opponents. It's how he won the election.
    I'm not sure. Practically everyone's had lunatic Left sympathies at some stage in their life, haven't they. Perhaps that's the trouble; had everyone always been as staunch as they now claim, we wouldn't be where we are now? After all, the Left has always struggled politically, electorally, over a longer period of time so, to alleviate this, it's always really been about the culture (education, the media etc.), for them. That's long been their battlefield of choice, so to speak.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Do these dickheads think they can just erase the most momentous period of their country's history? And that getting rid of a few statues of soldiers is going to do that?

I find it utterly bewildering....

Do these dickheads think they can just erase the most momentous period of their country's history? And that getting rid of a few statues of soldiers is going to do that?

I suppose it's the difference between an actual book and its online or digital counterpart; one of them can be re-edited or even erased completely. Maybe it's also why Hollywood is busy re-making many of its old hits?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

One of the points argued is that these statues were not put up just after the civil war but either in the 20s or 60s - the latter in opposition to the civil rights movement. Also, that no-one complains when statues of Lenin and co are removed in the former USSR.

I'm not really on any side here, btw. Though by a coincidence I got a book on London statues and monuments for my birthday this week. I might go and pull a few down if I disagreed with something they did.

Oh, and I also read some remarkably racist quotes from Abraham Lincoln which somewhat deflates the virtue balloon of the Unionist side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oh, and I also read some remarkably racist quotes from Abraham Lincoln which somewhat deflates the virtue balloon of the Unionist side.
    Nobody's perfect, are they. But maybe the point is that nobody dares say that about Martin Luther King, for example.

I'm not sure. Practically everyone's had lunatic Left sympathies at some stage in their life, haven't they. Perhaps that's the trouble; had everyone always been as staunch as they now claim, we wouldn't be where we are now? After all, the Left has always struggled politically, electorally, over a longer period of time so, to alleviate this, it's always really been about the culture (education, the media etc.), for them. That's long been their battlefield of choice, so to speak.
    I fúcking haven't, I can assure you.

Nobody's perfect, are they. But maybe the point is that nobody dares say that about Martin Luther King, for example.
    MLK was no fan of battymen, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I fúcking haven't, I can assure you.
    Yeah, I think you have. Anyway, you certainly do now.