Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: First Simon Jenkins article on the importance of doing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Stop reducing me to a caricature. It's mean. And don't even think about adding a comedy big nose.
    I detest it when people are mean to you monty Bunch of ****s.

Being mean to you is my job, and I think I make a pretty good fist of it. On the odd occasion I remove it from your mum, obvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It really, really wasn't. There simply wasn't anywhere near enough credible evidence to put his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
    That's a good point actually. We never really know, do we, as we weren't actually there. So then there's reasonable doubt, but what happens when people start to ask the question "What is reason."
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

It really, really wasn't. There simply wasn't anywhere near enough credible evidence to put his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
    Yes, but he was clearly of the criminal classes, wasn't he? And if he hadn't done that, he'd done something else. Best to lock him up and be on the safe side imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Man is a duality of the rational and the irrational. They co-exist and we are all perfectly capable of knowing rationally that something isn't the case while still nonetheless retaining a vestigial - if irrational - belief in that thing,
    But that's what rules are for, ain't it, so people don't have to think about all that?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's a good point actually. We never really know, do we, as we weren't actually there. So then there's reasonable doubt, but what happens when people start to ask the question "What is reason."
    Oh the judge goes through all that nonsense ad nauseam before the jury retires. The legal definition of each of the words in the endictment, how to apply those definitions to the evidence presented, exactly what 'beyond reasonable doubt' means in legal terms, yadda yadda yadda.

It was fúcking boring, I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, but he was clearly of the criminal classes, wasn't he? And if he hadn't done that, he'd done something else. Best to lock him up and be on the safe side imo.
    Well he was a junkie with mental health issues but there was no mention of a criminal record. He was appallingly common, granted, but we can't lock all the common people up, can we? Who would serve us?

Oh the judge goes through all that nonsense ad nauseam before the jury retires. The legal definition of each of the words in the endictment, how to apply those definitions to the evidence presented, exactly what 'beyond reasonable doubt' means in legal terms, yadda yadda yadda.

It was fúcking boring, I can tell you.
    The judge is in the same position as the jury though; he too, knows from nothing

Stop reducing me to a caricature. It's mean. And don't even think about adding a comedy big nose.
    Have I ever made a joke about your nose? Have I ever made a reference to you being Jewish? No, I haven't. Now would I ever.

I love the jews. All of them. Great bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The judge is in the same position as the jury though; he too, knows from nothing
    Who the **** are you?

Do you wavour between rationalism and faith in any other aspects of your life? Do you ever step outside and find yourself hoping the laws of gravity hold firm and prevent you from floating into the sky?

No you don't. So why wavour when it comes to the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster?
    You know that flying is a hugely safe form of transport. But you have many times told us how you fear or have feared it. Sir C finds your irrationality in this matter absurd just as you find his talk of agnosticism absurd.

In other words, you are not rational in all things, so why demand that others should be in areas where you profess a rather irksome certitude?

Gravity is a physical law, by the way. There is no physical law stating the non-existence of God.
    Last edited by Burney; 08-18-2017 at 01:36 PM.