Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: First Simon Jenkins article on the importance of doing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Speaking as an unhappy flier, I'm not afraid of crashing. That's just death. It's the actual business of flying that I hate.
    Hatred of flying isn't fear of flying, is it? Back in the day I used to hate the queues and the cramped conditions, but I didn't fear the experience.

Hmmm. Apart from salt beef and latkes, their food is minging, though. And they're shīt at sport.

And then there's the whole Goldman Sachs global hegemony thing, of course.
    Wait, what of the chopped liver and the chicken soup?

Ooof, I dunno. Have you heard Bob lately?
    Wooooah! He did his work decades ago. I don't need any new ****. Same with Woody.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Bagels. I will leave it at that.

The global banking cartel thing is a small price to pay for Bob Dylan and Woody Allen.
    Indeed. And they also produce excellent hounds. Some of the best ever, in fact.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hatred of flying isn't fear of flying, is it? Back in the day I used to hate the queues and the cramped conditions, but I didn't fear the experience.
    No, you don't understand. For the early portions of most flights, my heartrate is through the roof and I'm having to control my breathing so as not to hyperventilate. It's an out-and-out fear response. I get it under control with the help of my first gin and tonic, but it's a very real fear thing. But the fear is not about crashing, it's a hind-brain response to a fùcking weird environment that my conscious, rational mind struggles to control.

It's a bugger, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Wait, what of the chopped liver and the chicken soup?
    I regularly get to sample a 4th generation family recipe chicken liver pate. Its a genuine delight.

The chicken soup, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Indeed. And they also produce excellent hounds. Some of the best ever, in fact.
    Really? Hebrew hounds?

No, you don't understand. For the early portions of most flights, my heartrate is through the roof and I'm having to control my breathing so as not to hyperventilate. It's an out-and-out fear response. I get it under control with the help of my first gin and tonic, but it's a very real fear thing. But the fear is not about crashing, it's a hind-brain response to a fùcking weird environment that my conscious, rational mind struggles to control.

It's a bugger, really.
    Valium and AC/DC works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Really? Hebrew hounds?
    One of the key regions of origin, innit. One of my newly-aquired puppies is called "Lavi", for a short-lived Israeli fighter jet.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Middle class foreigners, of course. That's what the EU is for, after all. Move capital around to where it is most profitable, and ship all the labour around after it to make sure it is cheap.
    Middle class foreigners is practically everybody nowadays though, isn't it. That's the trouble. And no-one says anything about the movement of capital until they lose their own job, do they.

Thing is, what's wrong is wrong, always, all the time, and not just when it affects you personally.