Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: First Simon Jenkins article on the importance of doing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oooooh, what's all this then?

Believe in the spiritual do we?

Crystals, is it?

Auras?

Dabble in a bit of .... astrology .... do we, sir?

Hmmm?
    All sounds a little too Hoddle for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    May one enquire what gives you the right to decide what I should tell people? You're overstepping your remit here by quite a margin.

Plus, if I go to this place in Colindale and there's no booze, I will twist your little jew cock off and ram it up your saggy old arsepart. And the Lord will look kindly upon my work.
    He has a point, doesn't he? You either believe in God or you don't. Not knowing is one of many forms of not believing but they amount to the same thing.

As my old history teacher used to say, 'work not here is work not done'......

The dog didn't eat your faith.....

Nah, just the mysteries of consciousness. All perfectly scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oooooh, what's all this then?

Believe in the spiritual do we?

Crystals, is it?

Auras?

Dabble in a bit of .... astrology .... do we, sir?

Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Why this unreasonable insistence on the absolute? What the fùck business is it of yours if someone occasionally wavers between rationalism and faith? Why must we be one thing or the other?
    Monty is a bit all or nothing on many things. Brexit is brexit, it means what it means- there is only one Brexit and it cannot mean anything else.

Similarly, Islam is Islam, interpretation is a red herring. It means rape and terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Nah, just the mysteries of consciousness. All perfectly scientific.
    Scientific mysteries. How very empirical....

You found that bloke not guilty, didn't you? That was pretty lefty of you, I'd say.
    It really, really wasn't. There simply wasn't anywhere near enough credible evidence to put his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

Do you wavour between rationalism and faith in any other aspects of your life? Do you ever step outside and find yourself hoping the laws of gravity hold firm and prevent you from floating into the sky?

No you don't. So why wavour when it comes to the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Why this unreasonable insistence on the absolute? What the fùck business is it of yours if someone occasionally wavers between rationalism and faith? Why must we be one thing or the other?

No less empirical than research into dark matter. Or do you consider that airy fairy bull**** because we don't know all the answers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Scientific mysteries. How very empirical....

Stop reducing me to a caricature. It's mean. And don't even think about adding a comedy big nose.

Monty is a bit all or nothing on many things. Brexit is brexit, it means what it means- there is only one Brexit and it cannot mean anything else.

Similarly, Islam is Islam, interpretation is a red herring. It means rape and terrorism.

He has a point, doesn't he? You either believe in God or you don't. Not knowing is one of many forms of not believing but they amount to the same thing.

As my old history teacher used to say, 'work not here is work not done'......

The dog didn't eat your faith.....
    Man is a duality of the rational and the irrational. They co-exist and we are all perfectly capable of knowing rationally that something isn't the case while still nonetheless retaining a vestigial - if irrational - belief in that thing,