Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: So a left wing politician dares to point out that

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Representing the views of her constituents, some might call it
    The ones who voted for her, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I didn't like it. I am a coward. I was quite scared.
    Yes, well it was quite scary close up. But people still cheered when it was going off at the other end of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm not sure she was, tbf. Football fans used to love the violence - even if just vicariously. Football fans tolerated and even encouraged it.
    No doubt there was a little crossover, at least in spirit, but the proper hoolies, which were the real concern, were mainly of a different sort altogether from the vast majority of regular football supporters.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Yes, well it was quite scary close up. But people still cheered when it was going off at the other end of the ground.
    Blokes innit. Trying to look hard.

Blokes innit. Trying to look hard.
    Sure, but it's easy to see how that might be perceived as encouraging violence isn't it?

Sure, but it's easy to see how that might be perceived as encouraging violence isn't it?
    Nobody really minds violence, I think. It just seems to matter whether one gets it coming or going, as it were.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Nobody really minds violence, I think. It just seems to matter whether one gets it coming or going, as it were.
    Well this is the thing. And did Mrs T not realise that the lads who won her The Falklands had learned their trade on the terraces?

Well this is the thing. And did Mrs T not realise that the lads who won her The Falklands had learned their trade on the terraces?
    Of course. And the picket lines. Which is why she sent them to the Falklands #GreenEyedBoys

Will respond to this next week

We can argue back and forth about whether it demonises the entire religion. Likewise, we can argue over whether different interpretations of Islam already exist. For example, many Islamic scholars will tell you that fundamentalism (strict adherence to archaic values and the most vicious forms of sharia) is a relatively recent movement in Islam and a reaction to the dispersal of muslim populations to (particularly) non-muslim countries. I wouldn’t be confident enough to comment on that.

The bigger, broader principle here is whether you can blame an original text for what people or groups choose to do with it. Is Catcher in the Rye responsible for the death of John Lennon? Was Clause 4 to blame for British Rail being so ****? Would the Old Testament be to blame if some new crazy organisation decided to start enacting some of the crazy **** contained in it?

By blaming the script you partially absolve these individual rapists of their desire to rape, or of the horrific consequences of their views on white women. You also present the millions of good muslims with the notion that their religion is sick and twisted in a way that others aren’t. You also ignore the fact that these guys, alongside being evil ****s, were also pretty **** muslims- for one thing, they were drinking and taking drugs. Proof if any were needed that they are not exactly Quran-clutching zealots on some sort of holy mission.

I am not suggesting there is no link whatsoever between these acts and the ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds of those committing them. The numbers confirm that. You seem to skate past this clutch of issues and go straight back to scripture despite the fact that these individuals never mentioned it, never cited it as motive and clearly haven’t ****ing read or taken note of significant parts of it.

There is a difference between saying there are problems with social attitudes within our muslim communities and there is a problem with Islamic scripture. Apart from anything else, if scripture is the problem how do you propose to solve it? You can’t change the word of God? I don't see how blaming scripture helps separate good and bad muslims.

Not really.