Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: It's a fraction over 2 weeks until the transfer window slams shut. So far we have

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    It's all a bit defeatist, just the same though. Manchester City are favourites for the title, so I gather, and they've got John Stones marshalling their defence
    Pep's drug regime will have had a chance to bed in by now, I reckon. They'll all be running 40 miles a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Pep's drug regime will have had a chance to bed in by now, I reckon. They'll all be running 40 miles a game.
    True. They may win the league if they get to play Ipswich Town every week.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

It's all a bit defeatist, just the same though. Manchester City are favourites for the title, so I gather, and they've got John Stones marshalling their defence
    I thought United were favourites?

We went unbeaten for a whole season with Kolo at centre back.

I don't think its defeatist, just an acceptance of the Wenger reality. Arguably more than any other club in history, we know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

I don't think its defeatist, just an acceptance of the Wenger reality. Arguably more than any other club in history, we know what to expect.
    Fair enough, but it is defeatist at least in the sense that it's decidedly not .. whatever the opposite of defeatist is.

We're supposed to be supporters, for heaven's sake!
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

True. They may win the league if they get to play Ipswich Town every week.
    Did I mean Ipswich Town, or Brighton & Hove Albion

Fair enough, but it is defeatist at least in the sense that it's decidedly not .. whatever the opposite of defeatist is.

We're supposed to be supporters, for heaven's sake!
    Of course. Just as any good film gets the viewer engaged and rooting for the main character. No matter how good the film, the viewer will find it far harder to root for anyone when watching it for a second, third, fourth time. Still a good film, still worth watching, but your perspective is irrevocably changed by knowing the outcome.

Same with Wenger's Arsenal. We're watching the same film and we know how it ends. It would take a strange form of amnesia to be surprised when we, for example, lose at Chelsea even if they are in the bottom three at the time; run out of midfielders before Christmas; start the season without any centre backs; look good for a three month spell then implode; finish 4th/5th/6th with between 70 and 75 points.

Of course. Just as any good film gets the viewer engaged and rooting for the main character. No matter how good the film, the viewer will find it far harder to root for anyone when watching it for a second, third, fourth time. Still a good film, still worth watching, but your perspective is irrevocably changed by knowing the outcome.

Same with Wenger's Arsenal. We're watching the same film and we know how it ends. It would take a strange form of amnesia to be surprised when we, for example, lose at Chelsea even if they are in the bottom three at the time; run out of midfielders before Christmas; start the season without any centre backs; look good for a three month spell then implode; finish 4th/5th/6th with between 70 and 75 points.
    On the contrary, those are the very things that make us so exciting. It's not only supposed to be about the outcome of the seasons, or even winning the title; each of our games are great to watch in their own right.

Movie content: It's not what it's about, it's how it's about it, as the man said. To me, this explains that the movie itself is the thing, rather than merely its conclusion.

On the contrary, those are the very things that make us so exciting. It's not only supposed to be about the outcome of the seasons, or even winning the title; each of our games are great to watch in their own right.

Movie content: It's not what it's about, it's how it's about it, as the man said. To me, this explains that the movie itself is the thing, rather than merely its conclusion.
    I think it is quite a push to say that all the games are great to watch. I doubt many enjoying the Bayern games, or the game at Palace.

I am not saying one cant enjoy the games but we are largely denied the thrill of dreaming about the overall outcome. One can focus on precisely how we fail and succeed but these tend to be pretty predictable as well.

In other words, Wenger Out.

Either you enjoy watching football or you don't.

Bayern Munich are great entertainment and Crystal Palace played really well on the day

I think it is quite a push to say that all the games are great to watch. I doubt many enjoying the Bayern games, or the game at Palace.

I am not saying one cant enjoy the games but we are largely denied the thrill of dreaming about the overall outcome. One can focus on precisely how we fail and succeed but these tend to be pretty predictable as well.

In other words, Wenger Out.

And we made a CL final with the rock solid back four of Eboue Kolo Senderos and Flamini.

Funny ole game innit?
    Last edited by World's End Stella; 08-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.