Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2015: Parliament votes for EU referendum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

June 2015: Parliament votes for EU referendum

June 2016: Leave wins referendum

June 2017: Public given chance to vote for pro-leave or pro-remain parties at General Election. Pro-leave parties win 84% of the vote share

August 2017: Opinion polls show 70% of people want UK to honour the referendum result, regardless of which way they voted

And yet absolute ****s like this STILL claim there's no mandate for leaving. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6194680-...ogg-vs-chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

June 2017: Public given chance to vote for pro-leave or pro-remain parties at General Election. Pro-leave parties win 84% of the vote share

August 2017: Opinion polls show 70% of people want UK to honour the referendum result, regardless of which way they voted

And yet absolute ****s like this STILL claim there's no mandate for leaving. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

I'm hearing we are likely to get a chance to vote on everything again in October. Find that pretty hard to believe but I am being assured by someone I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I'm hearing we are likely to get a chance to vote on everything again in October. Find that pretty hard to believe but I am being assured by someone I trust.
    Really? And what happens between now and then to make that conceivable?

Really? And what happens between now and then to make that conceivable?
    Well, the PM dissolving parliament and telling the Queen would be the obvious first step. If that doesn't happen within the next month then October is out. If October is out then this year is probably out and we are into April/May.

Certainly if it is going to happen the Conservatives would want a short campaign. I would be stunned if they went in again with May in charge but that is the rumour.

Does this Chapman cvnt realise what an deranged bedwetter he sounds like?

I heard there is an attempt to set up a new party to specifically reverse the referendum result. The name? Democratic Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I heard there is an attempt to set up a new party to specifically reverse the referendum result. The name? Democratic Party.
    yep - as much as I would agree with the efforts to reverse Brexit/stop it* happening a little bit of self awareness would not go amiss there would it. Useless ****

*and I would count myself among the 70 per cent who want the referendum honoured

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    yep - as much as I would agree with the efforts to reverse Brexit/stop it* happening a little bit of self awareness would not go amiss there would it. Useless ****

*and I would count myself among the 70 per cent who want the referendum honoured
    I don't particularly want it honoured but I believe it needs to be. I also don't want to have to deal with the fall out of it being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I don't particularly want it honoured but I believe it needs to be. I also don't want to have to deal with the fall out of it being ignored.
    Yes "want" is possibly the wrong word. Though, while I would understand why the you can't just have referendums willy-nilly, it's very interesting that people like Monty who evoke the whole "it's the will of the people" meme, are absolutely terrified that that the will of people in August 2017 might be sufficiently different to that of June 2016, to reverse the decision. Funny old game democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yes "want" is possibly the wrong word. Though, while I would understand why the you can't just have referendums willy-nilly, it's very interesting that people like Monty who evoke the whole "it's the will of the people" meme, are absolutely terrified that that the will of people in August 2017 might be sufficiently different to that of June 2016, to reverse the decision. Funny old game democracy
    Well it was a very tight decision in the first place. It may well go the other way if we did it again (I suspect not, but you never know).

On balance, they waited ****ing years for a vote and they won it, albeit narrowly. Kind of has to happen now if only to honour the process.