Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I have been suggesting things in detailed conversations here with many people for the last year and a half. Which is why I get exasperated when I feel I am being asked to start from the very beginning when confronted with statements like:
I'm just thoroughly sick of the 'it's too complicated' argument (which is pathetic); the 'It was too binary'/'Leavers didn't know what they were voting for' (which is disingenuous - they were voting to Leave the EU because they don't like it - everything else is just detail).

The fact is that, in 40 years of membership, the political class has utterly failed to convince the wider British public of the merits of EU membership - as evidenced by the fact that those who voted In in 1975 overwhelmingly voted Leave in 2016.

Ultimately, if you take away the minority of us with specific ideological reasons for voting either way, the split actually came down to a very simple dichotomy between those who feel they have benefited from the EU and those who feel they both have not and have actually suffered as a result of membership.
That's it. Nothing more complex than that. The ascribing of base motives to either side is both incorrect and unhelpful.