Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am not sure the new pelanty shoot out system is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It isn't related to tossing a coin at all because you have absolutely no way of affecting the outcome of the coin. The better you are at taking & saving penalties, and the better you are at maintaining your technique under pressure, the more likelihood that you will succeed, and will have deserved it.
    Yes, but being good at taking or saving penalties isn't a reflection of anything other than being able to take or save penalties. As such, it doesn't reflect anything about the game or the relative abilities of the players and reduces the game itself to meaninglessness. This makes it an enormously unsatisfactory and arbitrary way of settling a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This makes it an enormously unsatisfactory and arbitrary way of settling a game.
    30 minutes of ET, if still level, golden goal with reducing amounts of players on the pitch. Goalkeepers have to drink a shot of tequila every two minutes (might not work with the likes of Ali Al-Habsi, but worth a punt imo).
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    30 minutes of ET, if still level, golden goal with reducing amounts of players on the pitch. Goalkeepers have to drink a shot of tequila every two minutes (might not work with the likes of Ali Al-Habsi, but worth a punt imo).
    how about after ET they bring in double sized goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    how about after ET they bring in double sized goals.
    And two balls.

Golden goal was rubbish. Really anti-climactic, and just felt wrong.

Yes, but being good at taking or saving penalties isn't a reflection of anything other than being able to take or save penalties. As such, it doesn't reflect anything about the game or the relative abilities of the players and reduces the game itself to meaninglessness. This makes it an enormously unsatisfactory and arbitrary way of settling a game.
    What could reflect the game of football more than smashing the ball past the keeper and into the net?

In redg's absence someone has to stress this point imo.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I like this. Although I like unlimited golden goal time after half an hour with no player reductions. This would force teams to either throw caution to the wind or just die of exhaustion.

What could reflect the game of football more than smashing the ball past the keeper and into the net?

I agree about golden goal. It was one of those ideas that on paper looks much better, but is in fact rubbish

True, but it is an English disease, this notion that it is a lottery/coin toss/no reflection of blah blah blah….

Where two teams have failed to win the game in 120 minutes they resolve it through a test of bottle and one specific skill.

We almost always fail this test. It may render the game meaningless but it does prove one thing- that we, the English, don’t have the bottle for it. Until we accept that and try and address it we will keep losing shoot outs. WE prefer to just write it off as meaningless, a lottery, flip of a coin.

Its *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    True, but it is an English disease, this notion that it is a lottery/coin toss/no reflection of blah blah blah….

Where two teams have failed to win the game in 120 minutes they resolve it through a test of bottle and one specific skill.

We almost always fail this test. It may render the game meaningless but it does prove one thing- that we, the English, don’t have the bottle for it. Until we accept that and try and address it we will keep losing shoot outs. WE prefer to just write it off as meaningless, a lottery, flip of a coin.

Its *******s.
    It being arbitrary and unsatisfactory is no excuse for being shįt at it, I agree. Generally speaking, Arsenal do pretty well in penalty shootouts, don't we? Not sure I'd describe us as a particularly bottly club, though.

Thank you, A, and well said. Shootouts hardboil the game down to its essence.

Perhaps we could even take the thing further in insisting each team designate just one player (obviously its striker or chief penalty-taker) to execute all its kicks until the winner is decided.

Then instead of the tragedy of some poor unknown squad member who's never taken a pen in his life costing his side the match or even a trophy, you have the real drama of a mano a mano contest (not literally obviously, unless one wishes to focus on the goalkeepers, I suppose) between the two teams' Galáctico stranieri; Kun v Alexis, for example, or even Ronaldo versus Messi.

A finer spectacle, imo, and much fairer.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."