Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am not sure the new pelanty shoot out system is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It being arbitrary and unsatisfactory is no excuse for being shįt at it, I agree. Generally speaking, Arsenal do pretty well in penalty shootouts, don't we? Not sure I'd describe us as a particularly bottly club, though.
    I was thinking we have quite a remarkable record over the past 10 years or so but then realised I had completely blocked the Bradford debacle out of my mind. Think that is the only one we have lost since 2000, though that season was pretty special (lost to Boro in the League Cup, Leicester in the FA Cup, Galatasaray in the Uefa Cup - all on pens. And we were only in the Uefa Cup because Kanu missed a penalty in the Fiorentina Champions League game)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    True, but it is an English disease, this notion that it is a lottery/coin toss/no reflection of blah blah blah….

Where two teams have failed to win the game in 120 minutes they resolve it through a test of bottle and one specific skill.

We almost always fail this test. It may render the game meaningless but it does prove one thing- that we, the English, don’t have the bottle for it. Until we accept that and try and address it we will keep losing shoot outs. WE prefer to just write it off as meaningless, a lottery, flip of a coin.

Its *******s.
    It's not a disease, P. In fact, it's a sign of our rude health. After all we invented the game.

Or, to put it another way, the Germans, who are practically perfect at penalty shootouts, of course, would never create such a wonderful game as football. Could never create such a wonderful game as football.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It being arbitrary and unsatisfactory is no excuse for being shįt at it, I agree. Generally speaking, Arsenal do pretty well in penalty shootouts, don't we? Not sure I'd describe us as a particularly bottly club, though.
    Obviously by we I mean England. Arsenal's record is a mixed bag, which is about right.

The new system is a step in the right direction, but there is a greater inbalance which still remains. The penalties should be taken at both ends of the pitch. It is a huge advantage for them to be taken at the end where the mass of your supporters are. I saw Arsenal suffer in two European finals - v Valencia and Galatasaray. I am sure that statistically many more shoot-outs are won by the teams when the shoot-outs are taken at the ends where there fans are.

It's easy to organise kicks at each ends with so many officials. And (unless the goalkeepers take kicks, which is rare and likelier to become rarer after Cortois' effort yesterday) it will be so much quicker to get through them as the keepers will be ready and waiting between the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    The new system is a step in the right direction, but there is a greater inbalance which still remains. The penalties should be taken at both ends of the pitch. It is a huge advantage for them to be taken at the end where the mass of your supporters are. I saw Arsenal suffer in two European finals - v Valencia and Galatasaray. I am sure that statistically many more shoot-outs are won by the teams when the shoot-outs are taken at the ends where there fans are.

It's easy to organise kicks at each ends with so many officials. And (unless the goalkeepers take kicks, which is rare and likelier to become rarer after Cortois' effort yesterday) it will be so much quicker to get through them as the keepers will be ready and waiting between the posts.
    I have a feeling TV people like it at just one end for some reason - in which case there is no chance of a change

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I have a feeling TV people like it at just one end for some reason - in which case there is no chance of a change
    Contractually obligatory 'Unlike your mum, who likes it at both ends'.