Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Neymar to PSG looks like it's happening then.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    The first scenario won't be happening. Also, what is in it for Ozil to sign now? He's 4 months away from being able to talk to any club outside of England (although admittedly he'll probably be speaking to those too) and seeing how much they'll be willing to pay him on top of a signing on fee that would probably be €10-20m. It's in both his and Sanchez's interest to play out their contracts now and become very rich men.
    Well they are already very rich men. We can offer them both a deal of say £200k a week with a get out clause if we fail to make the top 4. We can pay them both £10million signing on fees, safe in the knowledge that we either have them for 3/4 more years OR we sell them for a sizeable sum in the summer. Everyone wins.

And if Pep wants Sanchez that much he'll put that deal on the table. They don't see Arsenal as rivals and Aguero won't play much this season because of Gabriel Jesus (unless he gets injured again). The only issue for Arsenal is that he's 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well they are already very rich men. We can offer them both a deal of say £200k a week with a get out clause if we fail to make the top 4. We can pay them both £10million signing on fees, safe in the knowledge that we either have them for 3/4 more years OR we sell them for a sizeable sum in the summer. Everyone wins.

And if Pep wants Sanchez that much he'll put that deal on the table. They don't see Arsenal as rivals and Aguero won't play much this season because of Gabriel Jesus (unless he gets injured again). The only issue for Arsenal is that he's 29.
    Sanchez would get more than a £10m signing on fee. If he were out of contract next summer he'd probably be looking at £20m + £300k-£400k a week wages.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    And I seem to recall the same pessimism about FFP back in 2012, 2013 etc

FFP disappeared because clubs stopped doing what City and Chelsea were doing back in the late 00s. If they start doing it again I expect UEFA will become involved again.

I'm not suggesting it is tremendously powerful and not without certain flaws, you understand, but the idea that it doesn't exist and therefore has had no impact on a club's spending is demonstrably untrue.
    Wonderful naivety from the Big Canadian there. So if a club gets new owners and spends 200 million on new players with no demonstrable increase in their income, Uefa will get involved then will they? Can't wait to see this happening after this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Wonderful naivety from the Big Canadian there. So if a club gets new owners and spends 200 million on new players with no demonstrable increase in their income, Uefa will get involved then will they? Can't wait to see this happening after this summer.
    Yes. Given that they did exactly that with City, what makes you think they wouldn't do it with other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Well no. I get your thinking, they'll not want to sell etc but Lemar is probably more likely to want to push for a move. All his mates have left and quadrupled their wages and everything good about the team will have gone (apart from Fabinho), why would he want to stay?

With Lemar it will come down to price, as with all their players. Monaco are reluctant sellers but willing if the price is right and the player wants out.
    We'll have to agree to disagree but let's assume you are right. Can you imagine Wenger offering a price that Monaco can't turn down as the player insists he wants to leave? Has it ever happened before?

I can't think of an example. If we want Lemar, I think we need to see a 'Mbappe signs new Monaco contract' headline.

We'll have to agree to disagree but let's assume you are right. Can you imagine Wenger offering a price that Monaco can't turn down as the player insists he wants to leave? Has it ever happened before?

I can't think of an example. If we want Lemar, I think we need to see a 'Mbappe signs new Monaco contract' headline.
    We've supposedly had a third bid of £50m turned down. £60m would probably do it imo. As for him being more likely to sign if Mbappe signed a new contract, the general consensus was Mbappe would only sign a new a contract if Monaco stopped selling players.

Yes. Given that they did exactly that with City, what makes you think they wouldn't do it with other clubs?
    Look at the way they cracked down on PSG before - amazing how the books suddenly balanced.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2510651/...y-restrictions.

AC Milan's situation is very interesting - would put money on them never falling foul of the rules despite their massive spending.

I suppose I would agree that when an "outsider" does it they might be punished, but not one of the establishment clubs as it is as there to protect them. Would argue that reduces the "FairPlay" element of the whole thing, though