Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neymar to PSG looks like it's happening then.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I'm always surprised when people denigrate FFP as though it never existed.

I distinctly remember City being fined a rather large amount of money and both Chelsea and City openly admitting they were unable to sign players because of FFP.

Perhaps my memory is failing me
    I think it's more that it never had any real credibility; why would UEFA be against all that lovely new money pouring into the game.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Both stories in 2014. Once upon a time there was no offside rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    My sources tell me that there is no breaching of FFP rules here at all as the transfer fee, sorry the release fee - very important distinction - is not being paid by PSG.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    My sources tell me that there is no breaching of FFP rules here at all as the transfer fee, sorry the release fee - very important distinction - is not being paid by PSG.

Yes, amazingly since becoming an ambassador for the Qatari World Cup, he's found €220 million of his own money down the back of the sofa with which to buy out his own contract. Bit of luck that

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yes, amazingly since becoming an ambassador for the Qatari World Cup, he's found €220 million of his own money down the back of the sofa with which to buy out his own contract. Bit of luck that
    Surely the Qatar World Cup won't go ahead? One of my best mates lives in Dubai and the word on the street out there is that it will be moved. No planning for any air conditioned stadia (or in fact any stadia at all). They're going to have to get a move on if they want it there.

And this is before we consider the fact that they clearly paid for the privileged rather than being awarded it on merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Surely the Qatar World Cup won't go ahead? One of my best mates lives in Dubai and the word on the street out there is that it will be moved. No planning for any air conditioned stadia (or in fact any stadia at all). They're going to have to get a move on if they want it there.

And this is before we consider the fact that they clearly paid for the privileged rather than being awarded it on merit.
    You mean will common sense prevail in football, r? There's always a first time I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

In a bizarre twist of fate, and indeed a remarkable coincidence, the sum is his fee for said ambassadorial duties thus allowing him to buy his freedom from the shackles of his FCB contract. No transfer fee.

I suppose legally it is legal and all that but you know, it’s not.

It’s all a madness anyway, PSG will still be PSG and will operate in a slightly lesser league meanwhile I expect Barcelona to simply come out of the entire thing even stronger and will remain elite.

In a bizarre twist of fate, and indeed a remarkable coincidence, the sum is his fee for said ambassadorial duties thus allowing him to buy his freedom from the shackles of his FCB contract. No transfer fee.

It’s all a madness anyway, PSG will still be PSG and will operate in a slightly lesser league meanwhile I expect Barcelona to simply come out of the entire thing even stronger and will remain elite.
    Mbappe seems to have decided he wants to leave on the same day Neymar leaves Barca. Perhaps he will be going there

His exit will also push Lemar closer to the exit door #WelcomeLemar

I'll be very surprised if PSG get away with that, in fact I don't believe for a second they will. Rather, I expect they will simply pay the FFP fine and accept a transfer ban for a few windows with the belief that Neymar is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And I seem to recall the same pessimism about FFP back in 2012, 2013 etc

FFP disappeared because clubs stopped doing what City and Chelsea were doing back in the late 00s. If they start doing it again I expect UEFA will become involved again.

I'm not suggesting it is tremendously powerful and not without certain flaws, you understand, but the idea that it doesn't exist and therefore has had no impact on a club's spending is demonstrably untrue.