Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touch typing. I swapped my stilsons for a keyboard 20 years ago and I am still a

Touch typing. I swapped my stilsons for a keyboard 20 years ago and I am still a

slow, clumsy fat fingered 'hunt & peck' old tosser.

I read a post on Quora recently where a fella said he wouldn't employ a slow typing dev on account of the time that's wasted but mainly because, he opined, that anyone earning their living at a keyboard and not bothering to acquire that skill must be some kind of stubborn wánker. So I'm learning to do it now and my oh my it is boring and difficult.

'Fess up awimb. What is your keyboard prowess? Most of the kids I work with type with, at most, 2 fingers on each hand but type easily as fast as someone trained to touch type.

( I expect an I.T. autistic old Irish luddite like SW bludgeons the keyboard with his elbows ).

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post

I read a post on Quora recently where a fella said he wouldn't employ a slow typing dev on account of the time that's wasted but mainly because, he opined, that anyone earning their living at a keyboard and not bothering to acquire that skill must be some kind of stubborn wánker. So I'm learning to do it now and my oh my it is boring and difficult.

'Fess up awimb. What is your keyboard prowess? Most of the kids I work with type with, at most, 2 fingers on each hand but type easily as fast as someone trained to touch type.

( I expect an I.T. autistic old Irish luddite like SW bludgeons the keyboard with his elbows ).
    My two index fingers have served me well for 32 years of office work, h.

My two fists and forearms have served your mum's árse well.

Before i went to University I used to get a lot of work as an audiotypist and was renowned for my typing speed. All the agencies loved me.

Did you actually o a touch typing course of some sort?

ifs even an old drunken journalist like me can touch type, h. Mind you I also have a qualification in Teeline shorthand, though I suspect today I may fall short of 100 words a minute

I use two-to-three fingers on each hand and go at a decent-enough clip, but most importantly, the quality of what I write is more important than the speed of the typing.

Likewise, the quality of one's logical thought and ability to use the tools available is more important than typing speed, so you should tell that pompous old **** that he's a, erm, pompous old ****. Reminds me of some smarmy Oxford undergrad I knew back the olden days who said that programming (as it was known than) in COBOL was slow because the language was verbose.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    ifs even an old drunken journalist like me can touch type, h. Mind you I also have a qualification in Teeline shorthand, though I suspect today I may fall short of 100 words a minute
    what is touch typing? Surely doing it without touching is far more difficult?

It's not so much coding. The chars we use when doing that aren't likely to benefit much anyway ({} : <> []; != ) etc.

It's more stuff like writing handover docs which I avoid like the plague because typing is so laborious and difficult*

*might just be a lazy ****

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    what is touch typing? Surely doing it without touching is far more difficult?
    Touch typing (also called touch type or touch keyboarding) is typing without using the sense of sight to find the keys. Specifically, a touch typist will know their location on the keyboard through muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Touch typing (also called touch type or touch keyboarding) is typing without using the sense of sight to find the keys. Specifically, a touch typist will know their location on the keyboard through muscle memory.
    Oh right. Yeah I can do that. I have to look at the first key I hit. Its like knowing where your off stump is.

If I need to speed up I simply hit the keys harder. Feels like its working