Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This Kroenke hunting thing is repugnant, but there is some pretty empty moral

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well I do feel strongly in that I believe such killing of animals, whether ethical or not, when done as a sport (very important distinction this) is disgusting.

I myself can however distance the two, the football club I have supported for over 40 years and the fact that the owner of said club also owns a TV channel. I am not convinced that SK personally makes every decision at KSE and thus specifically at this TV channel.

The whole thing is rum but I struggle with the ultimate link between Danny Welbeck missing an absolute sitter from 7 yards and this other than being intelligent enough to understand global corporate structures
    Hmmm. Now - if you'll forgive me - it does just sound like you're looking for reasons why you don't have to bother doing anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well I do feel strongly in that I believe such killing of animals, whether ethical or not, when done as a sport (very important distinction this) is disgusting.

I myself can however distance the two, the football club I have supported for over 40 years and the fact that the owner of said club also owns a TV channel. I am not convinced that SK personally makes every decision at KSE and thus specifically at this TV channel.

The whole thing is rum but I struggle with the ultimate link between Danny Welbeck missing an absolute sitter from 7 yards and this other than being intelligent enough to understand global corporate structures
    The link is pretty bloody obvious. The two entities (arsenal and this TV channel) are owned by the same bloke. Giving money to one entity gives money to the guy that also owns and funds the other. The thought process is that this is a bad man and you shouldn’t give him your money.

The guys watching this channel might hate the thought of funding Arsenal.

It isn’t a problem for me as I don’t give the club any money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's absolutely fine. Not feeling strongly about it is a perfectly defensible position. What is less defensible is expressing your outrage whilst having the means available to make a meaningful protest and then not making that protest.
    That is the world we live in. I bet the overwhelming majority of people would profess to be against cruelty to animals. I guarantee you most of those people have a significant number of products in their homes that were tested on animals.

People have their limits. They may be furious about something, just not quite furious enough to be willing to make any kind of personal sacrifice, such as buying a different moisturiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The link is pretty bloody obvious. The two entities (arsenal and this TV channel) are owned by the same bloke. Giving money to one entity gives money to the guy that also owns and funds the other. The thought process is that this is a bad man and you shouldn’t give him your money.

The guys watching this channel might hate the thought of funding Arsenal.

It isn’t a problem for me as I don’t give the club any money anyway.
    Nor me. More by accident than design, my hands are fairly clean. I don't even have Sky or BT Sport, while the idea of actually going to a game these days fills me with horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Quite. It's a simple moral question. Consider the legions of lowlife Chelsea supporters who continued to buy seasont tickets at Stamford Bridge despite the club being owned by a gangster drenched in blood money; we quite rightly condemned them as morally bankrupt scum.

I can't see that there is a decision to be made. Clearly any decent human being is going to withdraw all support until such a time as Kroenke moves on.
    All support?

Are we still allowed to be happen when Arsenal win?

Hmmm. Now - if you'll forgive me - it does just sound like you're looking for reasons why you don't have to bother doing anything about it.
    No, I don't need reasons to justify it to myself. I am perfectly fine with continued support of a football team. I am not going to stop simply because the current custodian of the club has a few dodgy business interests.

My couple of hundred every year is not funding anything relative to the animal slaughter.

Nor me. More by accident than design, my hands are fairly clean. I don't even have Sky or BT Sport, while the idea of actually going to a game these days fills me with horror.
    Through online piracy I manage to watch without giving them any money. So I am actually stealing money from them.

A modern day Robin Hood. A hero, one might even say.

That is the world we live in. I bet the overwhelming majority of people would profess to be against cruelty to animals. I guarantee you most of those people have a significant number of products in their homes that were tested on animals.

People have their limits. They may be furious about something, just not quite furious enough to be willing to make any kind of personal sacrifice, such as buying a different moisturiser.
    Exactly so. And that's fine. All I ask is that they therefore temper their fury with the realisation that it is fatally undermined and shut the fück up about how furious they are.

Through online piracy I manage to watch without giving them any money. So I am actually stealing money from them.

A modern day Robin Hood. A hero, one might even say.

Actually, I don't even pirate the games anymore - such is my apathy.

Exactly so. And that's fine. All I ask is that they therefore temper their fury with the realisation that it is fatally undermined and shut the fück up about how furious they are.
    There is an easy answer to this. Tell them that Tesco are against animal testing and none of their products are tested on animals.

Tesco. Even Tesco feel more strongly about this than you do. Now shut the **** up.

Withdrawing your custom is the only input you have as a customer. Its also the only one you deserve.