Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can't he just buy a decent centre half?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I quite agree we don't need a centre back
    Kind of hoping chambers doesn't leave. I think there is a decent player in there, particularly in a back three.

I think the back three trend is at least in part a response to the lack of quality centre backs around. We are pretty lucky with the quality of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Kind of hoping chambers doesn't leave. I think there is a decent player in there, particularly in a back three.

I think the back three trend is at least in part a response to the lack of quality centre backs around. We are pretty lucky with the quality of ours.
    I think there's enough decent ones about, but we're just not nurturing them right anymore. Exhibit A: John Stones, but it's not actually his fault; when he sashays the ball out from the back, everyone is so busy applauding that they forget to ask "Very good, but can he actually defend."
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I think there's enough decent ones about, but we're just not nurturing them right anymore. Exhibit A: John Stones, but it's not actually his fault; when he sashays the ball out from the back, everyone is so busy applauding that they forget to ask "Very good, but can he actually defend."
    Still very young but a decent player in there for sure.

All about systems of course, systems and team mates, systems and team mates and defensive units, and of course midfield cover.

I would expect Stones, and indeed City as a whole, do be a lot better this term.

And United who have bought well.

And Chelsea, who have bought very well.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Hard to tell. Part of it is coaching. I don't know how well Holding was coached as a youth player. Perhaps it was that coaching that means he is currently better prepared than Chambers, or maybe its because he had played a couple of years of first team football in the Championship. Maybe both.

I wouldn't have thought Pep would be the ideal choice as mentor for a defender.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    All about systems of course,
    systems and team mates,
    systems and team mates and defensive units,
    and of course midfield cover.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Still very young but a decent player in there for sure.

All about systems of course, systems and team mates, systems and team mates and defensive units, and of course midfield cover.
    Yes, that's right. Also players as a whole group, I should have said. They've been having the same discussion in the cricket all week.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hard to tell. Part of it is coaching. I don't know how well Holding was coached as a youth player. Perhaps it was that coaching that means he is currently better prepared than Chambers, or maybe its because he had played a couple of years of first team football in the Championship. Maybe both.

I wouldn't have thought Pep would be the ideal choice as mentor for a defender.
    First team experience, no doubt. @GNev says the thing that most readied him to play for Manchester United was playing Lancashire club cricket as a teenager; you are playing with and against tough, well-seasoned, implacable men who only want to win, and when you drop a catch or give your wicket away, they don't care that you're just a young kid.