Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't he just buy a decent centre half?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Almost as if just dropping a player in there for one game here and there might not represent the true ability of the player if given a long run. Incidentally, apart from the Blackburn debacle where he came off the bench after about 20 minutes to replace Martin Keown in a defence that also included Cygan and van Bronkhurst, when else do you think he played centre half for us?
    Pretty sure he played there against Spurs once. May not have started the game there.

The thing is, he wasn't a great centre back. I think Wenger was trying to gloss over the fact that we were lacking cover in that area, or at least attempting to deflect the conversation away from spending money. My point was that isn't what is happening now- we have loads of options for the back three- Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Per, and then Chambers, Gabriel, Monreal, the new lad.

Not all great, but plenty to be going on with. Holding must be due a run in the side after his end to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Pretty sure he played there against Spurs once. May not have started the game there.

The thing is, he wasn't a great centre back. I think Wenger was trying to gloss over the fact that we were lacking cover in that area, or at least attempting to deflect the conversation away from spending money. My point was that isn't what is happening now- we have loads of options for the back three- Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Per, and then Chambers, Gabriel, Monreal, the new lad.

Not all great, but plenty to be going on with. Holding must be due a run in the side after his end to last season.
    Away to Spurs in the game we won 3-1 on that strike from Cesc and the flick and volley from Adebayor. We were awful at the back that day and had Spurs (Bent and maybe Berbatov?) been more clinical we might have lost 6-3.

Seven sisters road was an interesting experience post match

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Complete wrong 'un.
    Well, quite. Surely everyone knows that it was his very inconsistency at centre back that led to his then manager, Carlos Alberto Parreira, moving him into midfield in the first place.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Away to Spurs in the game we won 3-1 on that strike from Cesc and the flick and volley from Adebayor. We were awful at the back that day and had Spurs (Bent and maybe Berbatov?) been more clinical we might have lost 6-3.

Excellent, thank you. And in an otherwise 'settled' back four I note.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

You're a big unit, no problem to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Complete wrong 'un.
    I watched that game in a Cork pub with my United supporting cousin and a Blackburn fan - it hurt

I watched that game in a Cork pub with my United supporting cousin and a Blackburn fan - it hurt
    I watched the game at Newcastle with Bergkamp's famous goal in a pub in Cork. It was hugely entertaining watching a pub load of united fans trying to convince themselves it was a fluke.

Excellent, thank you. And in an otherwise 'settled' back four I note.
    You are still basing it on startlingly little evidence. And even if it was a settled back four, dropping a player in is hardly going to help

You are still basing it on startlingly little evidence. And even if it was a settled back four, dropping a player in is hardly going to help
    Of course. Just basing it on the evidence I have. And was just answering your question.

Also.....hate to be picky but dropping in the player in question is a necessity if you are going to play him there. Surely dropping a 'great centre back' in is going to help? Just to note that 'settled' back four included Clichy and Toure.... hence the inverted commas. It also had Almunia behind it.... I'm not going there.

Anyway....... the original point was that we don't need to sign a centre back or convert a midfielder. We have loads of options already and are arguably better covered than we have ever been (Since George Graham left). Nobody needs to worry about a bit of experimentation in friendlies.

That said, Maitland-Niles is clearly a **** centre back

Of course. Just basing it on the evidence I have. And was just answering your question.

Also.....hate to be picky but dropping in the player in question is a necessity if you are going to play him there. Surely dropping a 'great centre back' in is going to help? Just to note that 'settled' back four included Clichy and Toure.... hence the inverted commas. It also had Almunia behind it.... I'm not going there.

Anyway....... the original point was that we don't need to sign a centre back or convert a midfielder. We have loads of options already and are arguably better covered than we have ever been (Since George Graham left). Nobody needs to worry about a bit of experimentation in friendlies.

That said, Maitland-Niles is clearly a **** centre back
    I quite agree we don't need a centre back