Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't he just buy a decent centre half?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    It's not just the Emirates...it's been the entire team pre season.

Would have like a bit more commitment to the back 3 after it served it so well in the last few games last season.

Not having a recognised defence for the first game last season came back to haunt us and I hope we're not doing it again
    I would suggest maybe waiting and seeing what 11 the French puts out next weekend at Wembley.

Players like Mustafi, Holding and Chambers have only just returned to training with the group having been given extended holidays due to summer football, throwing them straight into weekend games may well have been seen as physically counterproductive, perhaps even ill advised.

People just need to relax a little, no game the club has played since the Cup Final matters one jot, it simply a case of proving or improving fitness. Different players need different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, the minor issue of the Holocaust denial...
    Yes, he seems quite the lad that writer. The Holocaust denying article was extraordinary. How on earth that got past an editor is impossible to discern.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, he seems quite the lad that writer. The Holocaust denying article was extraordinary. How on earth that got past an editor is impossible to discern.
    He steamed into single mothers a few years back, caused a stink at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I've steamed into a number of single mothers in my time

One had great fat sausage fingers and did stink.

I would suggest maybe waiting and seeing what 11 the French puts out next weekend at Wembley.

Players like Mustafi, Holding and Chambers have only just returned to training with the group having been given extended holidays due to summer football, throwing them straight into weekend games may well have been seen as physically counterproductive, perhaps even ill advised.

People just need to relax a little, no game the club has played since the Cup Final matters one jot, it simply a case of proving or improving fitness. Different players need different things.
    Wenger also seems to think that putting young players in defensive positions for meaningless games helps to improve the defensive side of their game. I can see that with younger players, not so much with Elneny.

He will be flirting with the idea that some of his existing full backs and midfielders could become centre back options in a three. He has a little history with this sort of optimism that has led to some alarming statements such as 'Gilberto is a great centre back'. I believe the same phrase was used about Justin Hoyte.

Anyway....we have good centre backs. This is not something to worry about at all.

I'm still amazed that Feltz is still employed by the BBC. Where does she appear?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Wenger also seems to think that putting young players in defensive positions for meaningless games helps to improve the defensive side of their game. I can see that with younger players, not so much with Elneny.

He will be flirting with the idea that some of his existing full backs and midfielders could become centre back options in a three. He has a little history with this sort of optimism that has led to some alarming statements such as 'Gilberto is a great centre back'. I believe the same phrase was used about Justin Hoyte.

Anyway....we have good centre backs. This is not something to worry about at all.
    Gilberto started his career as a centre-half. On this basis, coupled with his obvious intelligence as a footballer, I would imagine he could have made a decent defender as long as the system suited.

Your ignorance in this respect is of little surprise really, it is a football based topic of course which we both know and have acknowledged for quite a while now is not your strongest point.

He does talk a lot of nonsense all the same, that much I will give you.

Wenger out!

Gilberto started his career as a centre-half. On this basis, coupled with his obvious intelligence as a footballer, I would imagine he could have made a decent defender as long as the system suited.

Your ignorance in this respect is of little surprise really, it is a football based topic of course which we both know and have acknowledged for quite a while now is not your strongest point.

He does talk a lot of nonsense all the same, that much I will give you.

Wenger out!
    He also played there a number of times for us and was ****. That is what made the phrase rather strange. But I take your point.

I am still giving serious thought to taking a dislike to you. I shall keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He also played there a number of times for us and was ****. That is what made the phrase rather strange. But I take your point.

I am still giving serious thought to taking a dislike to you. I shall keep you posted.
    Almost as if just dropping a player in there for one game here and there might not represent the true ability of the player if given a long run. Incidentally, apart from the Blackburn debacle where he came off the bench after about 20 minutes to replace Martin Keown in a defence that also included Cygan and van Bronkhurst, when else do you think he played centre half for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Almost as if just dropping a player in there for one game here and there might not represent the true ability of the player if given a long run. Incidentally, apart from the Blackburn debacle where he came off the bench after about 20 minutes to replace Martin Keown in a defence that also included Cygan and van Bronkhurst, when else do you think he played centre half for us?
    Complete wrong 'un.