Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things not to do in France:

Things not to do in France:

Have a family holiday at a gite including a BIL from Yorkshire who is so tight that he refuses to buy food communally and instead buys only his own and spends the better part of the week making sure no one eats 'his food' or drinks 'his drink'.

Eat at brasseries with laminated menus, no matter how highly Trip Advisor rated the place and no matter how packed with locals it was.

Have your car break down 3 hours outside Calais.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Have a family holiday at a gite including a BIL from Yorkshire who is so tight that he refuses to buy food communally and instead buys only his own and spends the better part of the week making sure no one eats 'his food' or drinks 'his drink'.

Eat at brasseries with laminated menus, no matter how highly Trip Advisor rated the place and no matter how packed with locals it was.

Did this laminated menu also have pictures?

I want to hear more about the breakdown. What car, what symptoms, how remedied?

That's a thing, I suppose; France is great, I love living here but I would never come here on holiday
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Did this laminated menu also have pictures?

I want to hear more about the breakdown. What car, what symptoms, how remedied?
    No, but the menu looked very good outside of the lamination bit and was heaving with locals and made 'top 10 restaurants in Sarlat' when I googled it. Yer average Frenchie local really doesn't get good food anymore, I think.

Land Rover, I know.

Engine shut down with a warning light on while I was on the A28. Car still in France as the insurance company and their French contacts were a special kind of useless, hasn't even book looked at. I had to take a ferry, yes a ferry, from Caen to Portsmouth.

God, the state of the clientele on that thing. Is there actually an attractive well-dressed Scottish person on the entire face of the earth?

My driving holidays in France are now over. Never again.

Congrats BTW, saw your and V's Facebook post.

No, but the menu looked very good outside of the lamination bit and was heaving with locals and made 'top 10 restaurants in Sarlat' when I googled it. Yer average Frenchie local really doesn't get good food anymore, I think.

Land Rover, I know.

Engine shut down with a warning light on while I was on the A28. Car still in France as the insurance company and their French contacts were a special kind of useless, hasn't even book looked at. I had to take a ferry, yes a ferry, from Caen to Portsmouth.

God, the state if the clientele on that thing. Is there actually an attractive well-dressed Scottish person on the entire face of the earth?

My driving holidays in France are now over. Never again.

Congrats BTW, saw your and V's Facebook post.
    Oh it's much easier to eat well in the UK than it is in France. Has been for years; but the good stuff in France, when found, is simply better than the good stuff in UK. That's why I go back to the same place each year. Inside knowledge, see?

Land Rover. Self-inflicted and entirely predictable. What were you thinking? I often ask myself this question. People voluntarily walk into a Land Rover dealership and fork out tens of thousands of pounds on a product they know will break. It makes no sense.

Oh it's much easier to eat well in the UK than it is in France. Has been for years; but the good stuff in France, when found, is simply better than the good stuff in UK. That's why I go back to the same place each year. Inside knowledge, see?

Land Rover. Self-inflicted and entirely predictable. What were you thinking? I often ask myself this question. People voluntarily walk into a Land Rover dealership and fork out tens of thousands of pounds on a product they know will break. It makes no sense.
    He's an American sc, they like Big things so will see a Land Rover as a good thing... you can't teach them class
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Yes, agreed on the food. The debacle in Sarlat was slightly rescued by this place, which was quite exceptional:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...OTcxtZltaULoog

You know, after this breakdown (it wasn't the first) we googled to try and find a 4x4 to replace it and you know what by far the highest rated 4x4 in the UK was?

Land Rover Discovery I don't get it either. I'm think of an M class next.
    Last edited by World's End Stella; 07-27-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Yes, agreed on the food. The debacle in Sarlat as slightly rescued by this place, which was quite exceptional:

You know, after this breakdown (it wasn't the first) we googled to try and find a 4x4 to replace it and you know what by far the highest rated 4x4 in the UK was?

You live in Surrey, why the hell do you need a 4x4?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Yes, agreed on the food. The debacle in Sarlat was slightly rescued by this place, which was quite exceptional:

Titter not, take a look at the Grand Cherokee. Mercedes underpinnings with Jeep 4x4 capabilities at a fraction of Mercedes price.

Also worth taking a look at the Lexus RX450h. A great vehicle but not the biggest, until early next year when they launch the extended 7 seat version.

Titter not, take a look at the Grand Cherokee. Mercedes underpinnings with Jeep 4x4 capabilities at a fraction of Mercedes price.

Also worth taking a look at the Lexus RX450h. A great vehicle but not the biggest, until early next year when they launch the extended 7 seat version.
    Thanks. Funnily enough, when in Vancouver and the Rockies last year we rented a Grand Cherokee and loved it. But they seemed to be poorly rated when we looked over here.