Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I for one have no problem with chlorine-washed chicken.

I for one have no problem with chlorine-washed chicken.

I've eaten chicken in the states. It tastes much the same as chicken here - i.e. of not very much. What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?

People do get irate about the oddest things. We'll doubtless have the (entirely un-scientific) furore about GM foods next.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've eaten chicken in the states. It tastes much the same as chicken here - i.e. of not very much. What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?

People do get irate about the oddest things. We'll doubtless have the (entirely un-scientific) furore about GM foods next.
    I think I've been silenced Berni.
    I am lost for words for the stuff I read on a daily basis.

it's a very sad and boring world we live in.

Don't we drink chlorine in our water? And have a gulp of it when we get in a swimming pool?

Anyway, one imagines that millions of septics eat such chicken, and it's hardly turned them into a nation of drooling spastics, has it?

Oh.

As far as I'm aware, it's not the wqshing in chlorine that is the concern, it is how the animals are treated while alive which means they have to be washed in chlorine
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    As far as I'm aware, it's not the wqshing in chlorine that is the concern, it is how the animals are treated while alive which means they have to be washed in chlorine
    Do you imagine our domestic welfare standards are any better? After all, there's a reason why we have a higher risk of getting salmonella from eating our non-chlorinated chickens.

What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?
    apparently, food handlers will get blasé about other elements of food safety if the chicken has been chlorine washed.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    the washing is done after evisceration.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    apparently, food handlers will get blasé about other elements of food safety if the chicken has been chlorine washed.
    Eh? Isn't that a bit like saying safety catches will make people more blasé about handling guns? Or that having parachutes will make pilots less careful?

Eh? Isn't that a bit like saying safety catches will make people more blasé about handling guns? Or that having parachutes will make pilots less careful?
    Bit of a 'homework excuse' isn't it?

Not sure there really is an issue with it at all.

Of course the RFC's refusal to issue parachutes in WWl was based on the belief that pilots would too easily abandon their aircraft...