Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I for one have no problem with chlorine-washed chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Of course the RFC's refusal to issue parachutes in WWl was based on the belief that pilots would too easily abandon their aircraft...
    Oh, yes. Well that was a question of moral fibre, of course. Quite right. Can't have chaps jumping out just because they're a little bit on fire, can you?
    Last edited by Burney; 07-26-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Do you imagine our domestic welfare standards are any better? After all, there's a reason why we have a higher risk of getting salmonella from eating our non-chlorinated chickens.
    Allegedly our ar e a lot better.. or so they implied on the news last night
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I've eaten chicken in the states. It tastes much the same as chicken here - i.e. of not very much. What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?

People do get irate about the oddest things. We'll doubtless have the (entirely un-scientific) furore about GM foods next.
    Out of interest, would you say chicken has more or less flavor then a white fish such as turbot or John Dory which, as you know, are quite expensive and highly valued by chefs around Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Out of interest, would you say chicken has more or less flavor then a white fish such as turbot or John Dory which, as you know, are quite expensive and highly valued by chefs around Europe.
    Chicken is inherently bland, while turbot is delicately flavoured. Also, chicken has a far less toothsome texture.

Chicken is inherently bland, while turbot is delicately flavoured. Also, chicken has a far less toothsome texture.
    Brown chicken stock is a wonderful base for many sauces and is gloriously flavoured, of chicken. Turbot, whilst my favourite fish, is just fish. It tastes like mild fish, that's it.

I like fish but white fish is effectively just a transport for whatever sauce you put with it. Chicken, when cooked properly and served with an appropriate sauce, can be quite delicious.