Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: They can't arbitrarily ban the rumble of the V8, the buzzsaw whine of the straight 6

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Nor me. Sir C has long since despaired of pique my interest in them. I think it's because I came to cars fairly late in life, by which time they were a tool rather than a source of enjoyment.
    I love watching fast cars race, but have no interest in driving them, other than something with a bit of va-va-voom to nip away quickly at the lights and grab the lane I need to be in. And to zoom up Hardknott Pass without breaking sweat, of course.

Nor me. Sir C has long since despaired of pique my interest in them. I think it's because I came to cars fairly late in life, by which time they were a tool rather than a source of enjoyment.
    There is nothing, nothing I tell you, that feels quite as satisfying as 400 bhp under your right foot or left hand.

Vroom! Vroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There is nothing, nothing I tell you, that feels quite as satisfying as 400 bhp under your right foot or left hand.

Vroom! Vroom!
    Thank you, Mr Toad.

Vroom! Vroom!
    Also, may I suggest you don't repeat this sentiment to your good lady wife on the occasion of your anniversary? She might not consider it wholly complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I love watching fast cars race, but have no interest in driving them, other than something with a bit of va-va-voom to nip away quickly at the lights and grab the lane I need to be in. And to zoom up Hardknott Pass without breaking sweat, of course.
    Come off Clarke Curve and floor the throttle. Keep it there until you're 100m from the track disappearing away downhill to the right. Back off fractionally, turn in, and aim for the bottom of Paddock Hill Bend, knowing that the car is going 40 mph too fast to get around the bottom curve, because you know that, as the hill bottoms out right on the apex of the bend, the car will sit down on the suspension and, miraculously, physics will apply the grip to keep you on the track. Now straight back on the power up Hailwood until Druids is approaching far, far too quickly...

A track day with an instructor will settle these voyeuristic tendencies, a.

Also, may I suggest you don't repeat this sentiment to your good lady wife on the occasion of your anniversary? She might not consider it wholly complimentary.
    Oh she knows, she knows.

Oh she knows, she knows.
    Oh. The poor girl. So that's her behind cars and aeroplanes, is it?

Oh. The poor girl. So that's her behind cars and aeroplanes, is it?
    Only vastly overpowered ones. I'm not a complete animal.

Only vastly overpowered ones. I'm not a complete animal.
    I see. I shall forbear from further questioning.

I'm thinking I might try one of Mr Gregg's inestimable sausage rolls this lunchtime. I think it's the dreariness of the day that's driving this craving.

I see. I shall forbear from further questioning.

I'm thinking I might try one of Mr Gregg's inestimable sausage rolls this lunchtime. I think it's the dreariness of the day that's driving this craving.
    I advise the addition of a cheese and onion slice to this order. One may as well do the job properly.