Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burney, your analogy between our treatment of animals and prostitution seems flawed

Burney, your analogy between our treatment of animals and prostitution seems flawed

to me.

For our attitudes towards the former to move closer to the latter doesn’t necessarily require us to “willingly forego the pleasures” of eating animals. It can merely require a shift in attitudes to those who do and who are otherwise involved in the practice.

So, in the case of prostitution, it may still be partaken of by millions around the world, but you pay a huge social (and often professional) price in this becoming public knowledge. And if you are involved in the operations side of prostitution (pimp, sex trafficker) then you pay an even greater price.

Is it not conceivable that our attitude to eating dead animal flesh will go down a similar route in the future, whereby millions will still eat animals but will receive a level of opprobrium for doing so that doesn’t exist today?

And if you are involved in the operations side of eating animals - say a factory farmer or a KFC worker - you will simply become a social pariah in any social situation in which you reveal your occupation?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    blah blah blah
    Better to have lived and to have been eaten, than never to have lived at all.

Though maybe not so much for battery chickens.

to me.

For our attitudes towards the former to move closer to the latter doesn’t necessarily require us to “willingly forego the pleasures” of eating animals. It can merely require a shift in attitudes to those who do and who are otherwise involved in the practice.

So, in the case of prostitution, it may still be partaken of by millions around the world, but you pay a huge social (and often professional) price in this becoming public knowledge. And if you are involved in the operations side of prostitution (pimp, sex trafficker) then you pay an even greater price.

Is it not conceivable that our attitude to eating dead animal flesh will go down a similar route in the future, whereby millions will still eat animals but will receive a level of opprobrium for doing so that doesn’t exist today?

And if you are involved in the operations side of eating animals - say a factory farmer or a KFC worker - you will simply become a social pariah in any social situation in which you reveal your occupation?
    How do you have time to think about this sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Better to have lived and to have been eaten, than never to have lived at all.

Though maybe not so much for battery chickens.
    Yes, in my vision of the future, eating beef from, say, a free range cow would be akin to admitting you once fúcked a whore on a stag do in Amsterdam. People would roll their eyes, but you'd basically pay no real social price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    How do you have time to think about this sort of thing?
    I utterly neglect my children.

I utterly neglect my children.
    best way

Yes, in my vision of the future, eating beef from, say, a free range cow would be akin to admitting you once fúcked a whore on a stag do in Amsterdam. People would roll their eyes, but you'd basically pay no real social price.
    Chemically synthesised meat will probably become available at some point. Also consider that animals do more than just provide meat. Apart from dairy products and leather, they cut the grass in the lake district. Might as well eat them too if they're being bred for other purposes.

to me.

It wasn't an analogy, it was a benchmark of how, as a species, we are disinclined to allow questions of ethics to dominate our need to satiate our natural desires for pleasure. The point is that, after 10,000 years of civilisation, if we have only come that far on the commoditisation of human beings, how much further away do you think a worldwide moratorium on the commoditisation of animals is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Chemically synthesised meat will probably become available at some point. Also consider that animals do more than just provide meat. Apart from dairy products and leather, they cut the grass in the lake district. Might as well eat them too if they're being bred for other purposes.
    Synthesised meat is nearly here, I believe. Just a matter of years away before it starts to become commercially available. And many have eaten it already.

Synthesised meat is nearly here, I believe. Just a matter of years away before it starts to become commercially available. And many have eaten it already.
    If it tastes as good and is as cheap or cheaper to produce, then great. Otherwise, no thanks.