Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chap in the Grauniad reckons we're keeping Alexis because of

Chap in the Grauniad reckons we're keeping Alexis because of

"long-term financial thinking"
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Sounds like the sort of thing Wenger would say.

But if we do keep him good on the club imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Sounds like the sort of thing Wenger would say.

But if we do keep him good on the club imo.
    Apparently we've little choice; he won't officially ask to leave and the cost of replacing him would be more than his price. Even if he goes for free next year, if he helps us get back into the Champions League immediately, it will've been worth it.

Damn all long-term financial thinking bástards; I thought it was because he was a great player!
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Apparently we've little choice; he won't officially ask to leave and the cost of replacing him would be more than his price. Even if he goes for free next year, if he helps us get back into the Champions League immediately, it will've been worth it.

Damn all long-term financial thinking bástards; I thought it was because he was a great player!
    They have to give the impression that they are prepared to keep him. They may even have to be prepared to keep him.

The problem is, he is a bit of a ****. Isn't he just going to be a problem all season?

A silly fee would probably be accepted. As Kyle Walker is worth 45 million plus, I don't even know what a silly fee is but it would have to be 60-70 million at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They have to give the impression that they are prepared to keep him. They may even have to be prepared to keep him.

The problem is, he is a bit of a ****. Isn't he just going to be a problem all season?

A silly fee would probably be accepted. As Kyle Walker is worth 45 million plus, I don't even know what a silly fee is but it would have to be 60-70 million at least.
    I feel like I'm on a different planet when it comes to the way people talk about Alexis. Yes, he showed a bit of a habit of getting in a huff last season, but his effort in every single game is absolutely unbelievable. He is a total monster in every single second of every single game. Even during his so-called bad period of the season his effort levels didn't drop.

Call me mad, but if that's petulance then I wish more of our players were petulant.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I feel like I'm on a different planet when it comes to the way people talk about Alexis. Yes, he showed a bit of a habit of getting in a huff last season, but his effort in every single game is absolutely unbelievable. He is a total monster in every single second of every single game. Even during his so-called bad period of the season his effort levels didn't drop.

Call me mad, but if that's petulance then I wish more of our players were petulant.
    Well spoken, M. Beautifully put.

Didn't De Gea have a similar situation at United? I'd be looking at getting him to agree a £200k per week deal (a sizable payrise) with a clause stating that he can leave the club next season if we don't qualify for the CL.

This time next year he'll be a few months short of 30 so won't be worth much cash anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

I would also imagine the lack of petulance among the rest of our players is one of the things that sets him off.

I wouldn't expect to see a lack of effort from him. It is more the effect his behaviour might have on others, as well as the constant media attention on the situation.

I would support the club keeping him but I don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Didn't De Gea have a similar situation at United? I'd be looking at getting him to agree a £200k per week deal (a sizable payrise) with a clause stating that he can leave the club next season if we don't qualify for the CL.

This time next year he'll be a few months short of 30 so won't be worth much cash anyway.
    Why should he sign that deal..he can either get sold now and earn 5-10% ot he deal as he hasn't asked for a tfr, or get a huge signing on fee next summer... and don't start with the rubbish thast he won't be worth much, he will be 29 and at his prime
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, the current Gonzalo Higuaín (aged 29) transfer stuff makes you absolutely correct.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”