Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Slightly :deviant: behaviour last night, watched the women's footy

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Not bad, I guess. Damning with faint praise, they call it, I think.

He's only moved people in the sense that he's redefined what the centre is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He's only moved people in the sense that he's redefined what the centre is, though.
    Not really. The policies he's implemented (or tried to) seem pretty conventionally centre right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Not really. The policies he's implemented (or tried to) seem pretty conventionally centre right to me.
    Oh, sure. But this is about what those labels had come to mean before him. He's redefined the centre as somewhere that the people who had been marginalised as 'deplorable' could feel they belonged again.
    All regimes normalise their policy positions as the centre. In other words, the 'far right' was only called that by the left, who had also spent a lot of time defining the left as being the centre.

Oh, sure. But this is about what those labels had come to mean before him. He's redefined the centre as somewhere that the people who had been marginalised as 'deplorable' could feel they belonged again.
    All regimes normalise their policy positions as the centre. In other words, the 'far right' was only called that by the left, who had also spent a lot of time defining the left as being the centre.
    Yes, rather like labelling any of your players that doesn't play at the back or in goal as a striker, or potential striker, right up until the moment you actually sign a striker.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

He is rather difficult to define in this sense. The link between policy and rhetoric is not always straightforward with him and, quite frankly, he talks a lot of nonsensical *******s. Many of his moves are indistinguishable from most Republican Presidents but the way he goes about it is rather different. Or at least the way he describes it is.

His 'unconventional' approach is what people admire. Even if it leads to conventional actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He is rather difficult to define in this sense. The link between policy and rhetoric is not always straightforward with him and, quite frankly, he talks a lot of nonsensical *******s. Many of his moves are indistinguishable from most Republican Presidents but the way he goes about it is rather different. Or at least the way he describes it is.

His 'unconventional' approach is what people admire. Even if it leads to conventional actions.
    Well yes. He's rather fun. Also, by stomping around the place being extremely gauche in a loud voice, he very much embodies the American national character as a lot of Americans see it, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

That's the point; it only seems unconventional to your sort.

You said before you may even have voted for him yourself. Why?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Well yes. He's rather fun. Also, by stomping around the place being extremely gauche in a loud voice, he very much embodies the American national character as a lot of Americans see it, I think.
    And equally, as many foreigners see it too. Which makes it seem even better still to Americans.

Yes. He is arguably the most 'watchable' President in living memory. And it has to be said, the campaign was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's the point; it only seems unconventional to your sort.

You said before you may even have voted for him yourself. Why?
    I said if I had lived in Ohio for 30 years and been unemployed I would have voted for him. For obvious reasons. He didn't come around promising generic investment, high tech jobs, the usual garbage. He spoke to them in a way they could understand and promised them what they actually wanted. As I say, highly unconventional.

If its a choice between Hillary and the lunatic, he is well worth a punt.

I think the feeling of being politically ignored in the States is totally off the charts in terms of our understanding.