Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Slightly :deviant: behaviour last night, watched the women's footy

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I agree to a point. But I don't think it's quite right to lump Harris in with the middle class liberal intelligentsia, as he would be chucked out of your average Hamptons dinner party within 5 seconds of opening his mouth on most subjects.

The podcast is worth listening to, I think. The fella interviewed is non-political, and stays well away from the usual political talking points around Trump and instead attempts to defend his character in a thought-provoking way.
    I can't do podcasts; listening to folk wittering on is hellish. What thoughts did he provoke?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I can't do podcasts; listening to folk wittering on is hellish. What thoughts did he provoke?
    Lots of thoughts.

He asked Harris what he'd prefer, the far right moving to the centre or the far left moving to the centre, and pointed out that no-one has done more in living memory to move more people from the far right to the centre than Trump.

Provoked my thought, anyhoo.

I agree to a point. But I don't think it's quite right to lump Harris in with the middle class liberal intelligentsia, as he would be chucked out of your average Hamptons dinner party within 5 seconds of opening his mouth on most subjects. He is, after all, pro-racial profiling, pro-torture (in some instances), and pro-immigration control, among other things.

The podcast is worth listening to, I think. The fella interviewed is non-political, and stays well away from the usual political talking points around Trump and instead attempts to defend his character in a thought-provoking way.
    Fair enough. I'll give it a listen. Harris just annoys me with his 'not fit to be President' schtick. What the fùck does that even mean? He's clever enough to know that the concept of a fit President is an entirely subjective construct.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Fair enough. I'll give it a listen. Harris just annoys me with his 'not fit to be President' schtick. What the fùck does that even mean? He's clever enough to know that the concept of a fit President is an entirely subjective construct.
    But he's never suggested that he isn't a legitimate president, I don't think. And he also begrudgingly praised his recent speech in Poland.

But yes, his main problem with Trump is aesthetic. But bear in mind Harris is a man who is pathologically obsessed with ethical human behaviour, to the extent that he even wrote a book saying that lying is ALWAYS ethically wrong (except in cases where lying would keep someone out of danger). AND he's a vegan!

Basically, he's a proper weirdo. But I do love him.

But he's never suggested that he isn't a legitimate president, I don't think. And he also begrudgingly praised his recent speech in Poland.

But yes, his main problem with Trump is aesthetic. But bear in mind Harris is a man who is pathologically obsessed with ethical human behaviour, to the extent that he even wrote a book saying that lying is ALWAYS ethically wrong (except in cases where lying would keep someone out of danger). AND he's a vegan!

Basically, he's a proper weirdo. But I do love him.
    To be fair, I didn't say he'd said he wasn't legitimate, I said he'd said he wasn't fit.

So all lying is ethically wrong? What if your wife asks if you still find her attractive? Surely it's fine to say 'Yes' even if she's a 17-stone heifer?

To be fair, I didn't say he'd said he wasn't legitimate, I said he'd said he wasn't fit.

So all lying is ethically wrong? What if your wife asks if you still find her attractive? Surely it's fine to say 'Yes' even if she's a 17-stone heifer?
    Nope, I've not read the book but I believe Harris would say you should tell her the truth (in as tactful a way as you can muster).

Let's both try it with our respectives next time and see how we get on

Hang on, what did I just say?

Nope, I've not read the book but I believe Harris would say you should tell her the truth (in as tactful a way as you can muster).

Let's both try it with our respectives next time and see how we get on

Hang on, what did I just say?
    I believe you insulted both our wives.

Why do I strongly suspect that he's a vegan because it's the only logically and ethically consistent way of being a vegetarian?

Like you say, a weirdo.

I believe you insulted both our wives.

Why do I strongly suspect that he's a vegan because it's the only logically and ethically consistent way of being a vegetarian?

Like you say, a weirdo.
    He's one of them types who believes that in 100 years we'll look back on our treatment of animals in the same way as we look back on our ancestors' treatment of slaves.

Lots of thoughts.

He asked Harris what he'd prefer, the far right moving to the centre or the far left moving to the centre, and pointed out that no-one has done more in living memory to move more people from the far right to the centre than Trump.

Provoked my thought, anyhoo.
    Not bad, I guess. Damning with faint praise, they call it, I think.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

He's one of them types who believes that in 100 years we'll look back on our treatment of animals in the same way as we look back on our ancestors' treatment of slaves.
    Yeah. He's wrong. History demonstrates pretty clearly that mankind does not willingly forego sources of physical pleasure on ethical grounds. Prostitution has been going strong since time immemorial despite the fact that it effectively commoditises human beings to satisfy a physical craving. Given which, it seems unlikely to me that as a species we're going to get around to *actually* being bothered about dead animals any time soon.