Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Slightly :deviant: behaviour last night, watched the women's footy

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Mixed Martial Arts was invented to answer all these questions anyway, wasn't it? Like Mixed Doubles in tennis,
    I suppose.
    That just seems to be a lot of chaps scragging chaps and kicking one another in the shins.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That just seems to be a lot of chaps scragging chaps and kicking one another in the shins.
    My man Sam Harris is well into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    In the fight game, they use the term "pound for pound" to qualify any subjective judgements and address issues regarding weight divisions and so on.
    In motor racing they use "best in class". Particularly important when different categories of car are racing on the same track (eg le Mans).

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    In motor racing they use "best in class". Particularly important when different categories of car are racing on the same track (eg le Mans).
    Of course; hounds too.

Best of Breed, Best in Group (a group is several breeds of the same type) and Best in Show in which all the Group winners compete for the top prize. Each of these also include a Reserve Best, which is awarded to the best loser from the opposite sex.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    My man Sam Harris is well into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. That's good enough for me.
    I like him and he's sound on Islam, but he really needs to get the fùck over himself when it comes to Donald Trump.

Yes. Because it is a given.
    Of course. The real problem here is not sexism, its a refusal to acknowledge the obvious fact that men are just better at all [these] things.

I like him and he's sound on Islam, but he really needs to get the fùck over himself when it comes to Donald Trump.
    I agree, but his objection to Trump is not rooted in political partisanship. Well that's what he claims, anyway.

He's actually just released a podcast with a Trump supporter - the creator of Dilbert, no less. Only listened to half an hour so far, but covers some interesting ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I agree, but his objection to Trump is not rooted in political partisanship. Well that's what he claims, anyway.

He's actually just released a podcast with a Trump supporter - the creator of Dilbert, no less. Only listened to half an hour so far, but covers some interesting ground.
    Yes, I haven't listened to that one precisely because it deals with Trump, on which subject I find Mr Harris fearfully po-faced.

I believe his antipathy isn not party-political. However, the impression I get is that his objection is quasi-aesthetic. - that he finds the mere idea of Trump offensive to his middle-class, liberal intellectual sensibilities. He doesn't seem to grasp that offending people like him on those grounds is precisely the point of Donald Trump.

I cannot spare this man; he FIGHTS!

As the man said.

And if the fight is to be dirty, well then, the Donald is prepared for that too. For far too long, conservative leaders haven't been prepared to win ugly. His opponents seem to be upset that they've found an adversary who is every bit as dirty and ugly as they are.

Yes, I haven't listened to that one precisely because it deals with Trump, on which subject I find Mr Harris fearfully po-faced.

I believe his antipathy isn not party-political. However, the impression I get is that his objection is quasi-aesthetic. - that he finds the mere idea of Trump offensive to his middle-class, liberal intellectual sensibilities. He doesn't seem to grasp that offending people like him on those grounds is precisely the point of Donald Trump.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I agree to a point. But I don't think it's quite right to lump Harris in with the middle class liberal intelligentsia, as he would be chucked out of your average Hamptons dinner party within 5 seconds of opening his mouth on most subjects. He is, after all, pro-racial profiling, pro-torture (in some instances), and pro-immigration control, among other things.

The podcast is worth listening to, I think. The fella interviewed is non-political, and stays well away from the usual political talking points around Trump and instead attempts to defend his character in a thought-provoking way.