Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: So it seems our chums in the ever-democratic EU are threatening to suspend Poland's

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, dear. And we were having such a nice chat until now. This is merely the hysterical ranting of a bedwetter, gg.

Oh, by the way, whenever someone says in all seriousness: 'The public should never have been entrusted with such a decision', I reach for my revolver. You either trust the public with decisions about how they are governed or you advocate tyranny. There is no middle ground.
    Firstly, there is a middle ground. Represnentative democracy, not referendums. I don't know what level our interest rates should be, so we leave it to the MPC overseen by a govt, accountable in parl, which has experts to advise them.

We shouldn't let the public vote every three months on what the rate should be. Cos people with mortguages will vote for 0% and people with savings will vote for 100%. Leave it to the experts, accountable to govt, accountable to parl, accountable to their voters.

This is precisely the middle ground I'm talking about. Put experts, govt and parl between the voters and the decision.

But the econ issues are not the hysterical rantins of a bedwetter. You read the Times, don't you? Because the Times, FT and Economist have been showing almost daily how this is really going to cost us **** loads.

And if every economist, bar 8, in the country says it's going to cost us **** loads, I trust them. All the experts know this is going to be an economic disaster. A slow, drawn out one, admittedly, but a disaster none the less.

But please answer my question about what happens when our economy does go tits up.

Just for sake of argument, assume that it does go bad. Very bad. The 9.5% fall in GDP predicted by 2030.

How do you think the voters will react? One half knowing the other has ruined their and their children's' futures.

And what about those who voted fro Brexit? Will the Mail and Sun tell them that it was their fault, that they should have listened to all the experts who told them they'd be much poorer? Or will it say that they have been stabbed in the back by traitors like post-ww1 Germany? What do you think?

You really don't think some form of extremism can happen here?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That depends on the belief that it is the key constitutional matter. Its not. It means very little and is too complicated for the mass populace to comprehend.

And they didn't ignore the feelings of the majority- they just didn't agree with them. Its called leadership.

David Cameron, for all his faults, understood this.
    The 'too complicated' thing is just what those in power say when they want the public to fūck off and stop asking awkward questions.

EU membership only became 'too complicated' because our political classes allowed it to. The public have applied Alexander's solution to the Gordian knot it is and it is now the business of those political classes to sort that out.

Wooooah!!!

Who mentioned invasion?? These people are our friends, Sir C. Friends and partners. Let us work with them and build a secure and prosperous Asia. Europe is done, leave the rubble to the Germans.

I shall take up residence in Penang. I assume you will fancy Singapore?
    Friends? Don't be ridiculous. They hate us and our sour milk smell and will never be our friends.

I'd rather live in Essex than Singapore. Singapore? Is there a more soulless place full of soulless people than Singapore?

Bangkok for me. A little place on the Chao Praya down at Silom or Saphan Taksin, I think

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Don't look at me; the redgunamos are an essentially hairless variety
    What, completely smooth - all over? I expect that's quite a sight when it's all oiled up, isn't it?

Pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Firstly, there is a middle ground. Represnentative democracy, not referendums. I don't know what level our interest rates should be, so we leave it to the MPC overseen by a govt, accountable in parl, which has experts to advise them.

We shouldn't let the public vote every three months on what the rate should be. Cos people with mortguages will vote for 0% and people with savings will vote for 100%. Leave it to the experts, accountable to govt, accountable to parl, accountable to their voters.

This is precisely the middle ground I'm talking about. Put experts, govt and parl between the voters and the decision.

But the econ issues are not the hysterical rantins of a bedwetter. You read the Times, don't you? Because the Times, FT and Economist have been showing almost daily how this is really going to cost us **** loads.

And if every economist, bar 8, in the country says it's going to cost us **** loads, I trust them. All the experts know this is going to be an economic disaster. A slow, drawn out one, admittedly, but a disaster none the less.

But please answer my question about what happens when our economy does go tits up.

Just for sake of argument, assume that it does go bad. Very bad. The 9.5% fall in GDP predicted by 2030.

How do you think the voters will react? One half knowing the other has ruined their and their children's' futures.

And what about those who voted fro Brexit? Will the Mail and Sun tell them that it was their fault, that they should have listened to all the experts who told them they'd be much poorer? Or will it say that they have been stabbed in the back by traitors like post-ww1 Germany? What do you think?

You really don't think some form of extremism can happen here?
    No. I refuse to countenance your rather silly premise. And quoting three fanatically pro-Remain publications does not aid your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Friends? Don't be ridiculous. They hate us and our sour milk smell and will never be our friends.

I'd rather live in Essex than Singapore. Singapore? Is there a more soulless place full of soulless people than Singapore?

Bangkok for me. A little place on the Chao Praya down at Silom or Saphan Taksin, I think
    We can probably do without your sort anyway. Plenty of good men will fancy finding their fortune in the East.

We can probably do without your sort anyway. Plenty of good men will fancy finding their fortune in the East.
    I don't think I'd be able to bear the heat in Singapore. Or the crowds.

Look, if it's an updated brand of colonial exploitation you're after, I'm all over it. Find me an opium den and three or four filthy oriental fillies to mop my brow, and I'm your man. My concern would be that your generation will ty to do things... ethically. :shudder:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't think I'd be able to bear the heat in Singapore. Or the crowds.
    Pfff. Call yourself an Englishman? Sir Stanford Raffles never removed his jacket or loosened his cravat.

I shall wear tweeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Pfff. Call yourself an Englishman? Sir Stanford Raffles never removed his jacket or loosened his cravat.

I shall wear tweeds.
    It's true. I think I'd be dreaming fondly of a cold, wet London day in February before a week was out.