Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So it seems our chums in the ever-democratic EU are threatening to suspend Poland's

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Funny, never really seen you as an idealist, Burnley.

And my answer would be absolutely not. I think we're less democratic than you make us out to be and the EU more than you want to believe. And at the end of the day I want a nice life, I could give a rat's ass about political philosophy which I may or may not be exposed to. And in my lifetime, being part of the EU is far less risky than leaving.
    Essentially, then, you are happy for you, your children, grandchildren and fellow citizens to be progressively disenfranchised as long as the money's good? That seems a remarkably dim, selfish, historically illiterate and short-sighted view to me - not least because it's predicated on the rather dubious premise that the money will always be good.

Unfortunately, it's a fairly common attitude. At least - unlike most middle-class remainers - you're honest about it. I'lll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Good Lord. A german saying this in 1936 would probably have regretted it by 1945.

By the way, your hanging preposition is perfectly revolting.
    When I was in school, Charles, boys did maths, girls were good at grammar.

The EU and Hitler, eh? You really have gone proper mental in your old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's the Napoleonic code, basically. They see it as a reasonable blueprint for law and government, whereas we see it for what it is: a means devised by a tyrant to control a subject population. That divide has always been at the heart of Britain's issues with the EU.
    Right. As even young Stan Kowalski could've told us.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

When I was in school, Charles, boys did maths, girls were good at grammar.

The EU and Hitler, eh? You really have gone proper mental in your old age.
    I am afraid your 'school' on the tundra didn't serve you as well as it might have, wes.

Not caring about democracy seems to me a dangerous attitude, for without democracy, something nasty tends to sneak in.

Essentially, then, you are happy for you, your children, grandchildren and fellow citizens to be progressively disenfranchised as long as the money's good? That seems a remarkably dim, selfish, historically illiterate and short-sighted view to me - not least because it's predicated on the rather dubious premise that the money will always be good.

Unfortunately, it's a fairly common attitude. At least - unlike most middle-class remainers - you're honest about it. I'lll give you that.
    Obviously, the money will always be good, so long as you keep giving more and more of it to the EU.

No, wait ..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Good Lord. A german saying this in 1936 would probably have regretted it by 1945.

By the way, your hanging preposition is perfectly revolting.
    It's the sheer, smug, wilfully-ignorant amorality of it I find so terrifying. We really have become so cosy and secure that we've lost all vestige of 'the tragic sense of life'. We think we are immune to history and have forgotten the key lesson of the 20th Century - that absolutely everything you think you have can be swept away if you aren't prepared to defend it or are happy to trade it for short term gain.

Depressing. We are fūcked.

The UK was a rather important member of the EU and heavily influenced many decisions and there is no factual basis for the claim that the EU will become more 'undemocratic' with time. You just make that bit up because it suits your argument.

I'm happy to lose some control provided I think the upside merits it and I know that we can always withdraw if we no longer want to be part of it. As that is the case with the EU, I see no strong case for Leave beyond immigration scaremongering a very dubious long term global trading strategy that has so many holes it doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

As we know, the under 55s voted Remain, the over 55s voted overwhelmingly to Leave. I think we all know why the older generation voted the way they did, dear old England and all that nonsense.

The UK was a rather important member of the EU and heavily influenced many decisions and there is no factual basis for the claim that the EU will become more 'undemocratic' with time. You just make that bit up because it suits your argument.

I'm happy to lose some control provided I think the upside merits it and I know that we can always withdraw if we no longer want to be part of it. As that is the case with the EU, I see no strong case for Leave beyond immigration scaremongering a very dubious long term global trading strategy that has so many holes it doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

As we know, the under 55s voted Remain, the over 55s voted overwhelmingly to Leave. I think we all know why the older generation voted the way they did, dear old England and all that nonsense.
    There is nothing nonsensical about 'dear old England'. You may not understand patriotism, having chosen to abandon your homeland, but you might at least display sufficient politeness to allow the existance of such a concept in the nation which has welcomed you and allowed you to settle and build a life.

Yes. It made it pretty much impossible to counter the argument that Germany calls the shots in the EU, for one thing.
    Oh, Berni, have you ever studied the terms of the German 1914 September Programme? This was just after the war had started when they thought they were about to secure a quick victory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septemberprogramm

Look at this bit:

Germany would create a Mitteleuropa economic association, ostensibly egalitarian but actually dominated by Germany. Members would include the new buffer states.

Don't you think the Greeks et al will see similarities between Kaiser Willy's aims and the current EU under Merkel?

Benelux countries to be vassal states or annexed. Poland under their control. France seriously weakened so never a threat again. Only country not mentioned? GB. Because they obviously intended to have a 2nd war. Once they had all of Europe under their control, they would be able to spend on the navy instead of the army. The Programme states they want Belgian Channel ports.

So 100 years after they settled on this path, it has come to fruition.

Oh, as a Remainer, can I ask you one thing?

GB Foreign Policy has had two major planks for 500 years. To stop Europe being dominated by one power, and making sure that the Channel Ports were not all in hostile hands. In his excellent book on WW1, Forgotten Victory, Gary Sheffield starts by quoting Lord Burghley, Elizabeth's principal minister, telling her we can't let the Dagos take the Low Countries because these are "the counterscarp to your Majesty's kingdom."

Counterscarps are the outermost defensive parts of a fortress.

So, Brexit, imo, has done away with 500 years of GB foreign policy. We now have a united Europe against us, with no continental allies, with the Channel Ports all in the hands of powers who will always support the EU in the event of any form of conflict with GB. I'm obv not talking about war, but it seems to me that all these Brexiteers who bang on about war and history haven't really thought this through.

It's the sheer, smug, wilfully-ignorant amorality of it I find so terrifying. We really have become so cosy and secure that we've lost all vestige of 'the tragic sense of life'. We think we are immune to history and have forgotten the key lesson of the 20th Century - that absolutely everything you think you have can be swept away if you aren't prepared to defend it or are happy to trade it for short term gain.

Depressing. We are fūcked.
    Foreign.

Never mind. March 2019 and he's out on his ear