Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: People have suggested I grow up in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Red is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma*.

*I said 'Enigma'
    You appreciate you have just called him a communist?

I've just defended the British Empire under a Guardian article about the evils of the British in India. There's going to be incoming, isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You appreciate you have just called him a communist?

I've just defended the British Empire under a Guardian article about the evils of the British in India. There's going to be incoming, isn't there?
    Well obviously. Any suggestion of nuance on the question of Empire is still strictly verboten as far as lefties are concerned. Interestingly, the white lefties are often the most vehement on the subject.

Well obviously. Any suggestion of nuance on the question of Empire is still strictly verboten as far as lefties are concerned. Interestingly, the white lefties are often the most vehement on the subject.
    Not me. I am a white leftie but I find the British Empire fascinating. It is also difficult to argue that it was wholly negative if you spend time in Singapore, Malaysia, India. The work of Raffles in particular exemplified the most enlightened of its era.

Obviously, there were unpleasant episodes, particularly in India, but the british presence is still felt there today and not in a wholly negative way.

Of course. They know they're onto a good thing
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."