Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People have suggested I grow up in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If growing up means being a curmudgeonly old fart I can see the attraction of not doing so, tbf. Nothing more absurd and childish than 22 blokes chasing a pigs bladder around a field, after all.
    Unless there's billions of dollars involved. It's perfectly grown up then.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

If growing up means being a curmudgeonly old fart I can see the attraction of not doing so, tbf. Nothing more absurd and childish than 22 blokes chasing a pigs bladder around a field, after all.
    Nonsense. Football is a game of endeavour, skill, strength, speed, courage, dedication, power, subtelty, balletic grace. To watch a football match is to see men at the peak of physical, moral and mental exertion.

Fiddling with the buttons to make pretendy people move on a screen is, well, a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    To watch a football match is to see men at the peak of physical, moral and mental exertion.
    You didn't see Arsenal much then last season.

Did you find that Flight Sim in the end btw? The one for your friend.

Would be a bit more realistic to suggest that you grow up in the future tbh. Not much we can do about the past.
    That's half the trouble. Rather than this shrugging of the shoulders and saying "Bof!", what we can do is recognise our mistakes and try to rectify them as best we can while promising ourselves and everybody else that we won't make them again.

The modern fashion though, of course, is to continue behaving, and believing, in a way that we have demonstrated does not work. We don't admit our failure, we merely blame others for it; we take no responsibilty for it ourselves #snowflakes
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

You didn't see Arsenal much then last season.

Did you find that Flight Sim in the end btw? The one for your friend.
    Ha! No, you see, there's the thing. I never went anywhere near such a flight sim, for I am not a child (Although there are professional flight simulator packages which are useful for practising instrument procedures, but that's work, not play.)

Ha! No, you see, there's the thing. I never went anywhere near such a flight sim, for I am not a child (Although there are professional flight simulator packages which are useful for practising instrument procedures, but that's work, not play.)
    Oh, no. I'm not having that. It's all the same thing nowadays. Or anyway, work is play, in that it is not serious and involves no real sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's half the trouble. Rather than this shrugging of the shoulders and saying "Bof!", what we can do is recognise our mistakes and try to rectify them as best we can while promising ourselves and everybody else that we won't make them again.

The modern fashion though, of course, is to continue behaving, and believing, in a way that we have demonstrated does not work. We don't admit our failure, we merely blame others for it; we take no responsibilty for it ourselves #snowflakes
    And there is Arsenal in a nutshell.

Oh, no. I'm not having that. It's all the same thing nowadays. Or anyway, work is play, in that it is not serious and involves no real sacrifice.
    Well flying a non-precision approach down to minima with 300 people down the back is probably quite serious, no?

Well flying a non-precision approach down to minima with 300 people down the back is probably quite serious, no?
    Surely not, if you enjoy flying and they pay you for it?

Surely not, if you enjoy flying and they pay you for it?
    You can enjoy it as much as you like, whilst banking your money, but that's not going to reduce the misery of the relatives left behind after you've forgotten to set QFE and piled into the ILS.