Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Would it have made anything better really, though? Look how you've both moved on to giving one another friendly dining tips. So much better than the unpleasant memories fisticuffs would have engendered.

Besides, striking people in public houses is surely beneath your dignity?
    Good Lord, one would never have engaged in such activities within the confines of a public house! It is customary in these instances to proffer the invitation, 'Aaaahtside, nah!'

I suppose I had just reached the age where my old mantra of 'standing up for right, whatever the consequences' had become dulled by maturity.

I became, in short, half a man, and half a man I remain. (Probably a quarter now.)
    Last edited by Sir C; 07-19-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Good Lord, one would never have engaged in such activities within the confines of a public house! It is customary in these instances to proffer the invitation, 'Aaaahtside, nah!'

I suppose I had just reached the age where my old mantra of 'staning up for right, whatever the consequences' had become dulled by maturity.

I became, in short, half a man, and half a man I remain. (Probably a quarter now.)
    The adult world is a complex place in which hitting people - far from sorting things out - simply leads to more grief, hassle and paperwork.

The adult world is a complex place in which hitting people - far from sorting things out - simply leads to more grief, hassle and paperwork.
    Yes, sadly I appreciate that.

Of course, were Argentina once more to invade the Falklands, should be concern ourselves with hassle and paperwork, or get fired in?

One is either committed to Right, or one is not. We must simply come to terms with the fact that we are weak, cowardly individuals.

Yes, sadly I appreciate that.

Of course, were Argentina once more to invade the Falklands, should be concern ourselves with hassle and paperwork, or get fired in?

One is either committed to Right, or one is not. We must simply come to terms with the fact that we are weak, cowardly individuals.
    Is it not a case simply of picking one's battles?

Is it not a case simply of picking one's battles?
    I suppose so. I just don't seem to have picked a battle for 15 years

Wait, there was a minor one about 10 years ago, and then that unfortunate incident at the station a couple of years ago :stillgotit:

I suppose so. I just don't seem to have picked a battle for 15 years

Wait, there was a minor one about 10 years ago, and then that unfortunate incident at the station a couple of years ago :stillgotit:
    I think I last struck a chap about 10 years ago, too. Not a very clever move and I was very lucky to get away with it.

The closest I've been since then were a couple of incidents of argy-bargy with g's ex that didn't develop into anything. With hindsight, I can sympathise with him, since I was at the time living in his house and shagging his (then still) wife, which I can see must have been irksome. Didn't seem that way at the time, of course.

Ah, yes. Happy belated birthday.

I find the idea of you being 37 very odd indeed, I must say.
    Thank you - and yes, you've said this before.

If it helps to still imagine me as a nubile teenager then feel free to suspend your disbelief.

Would it have made anything better really, though? Look how you've both moved on to giving one another friendly dining tips. So much better than the unpleasant memories fisticuffs would have engendered.

Besides, striking people in public houses is surely beneath your dignity?
    What about squashing beer pots on a sweaty Canadians head?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Oh, that's fine. To be encouraged, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Using a plastic pot was a bit of a wimp out, to be honest.