Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In the last 30 minutes I have taken two phone calls

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It does rather suggest that some of your charges there may not be exactly of the brightest, doesn't it? I'm trying to imagine how, during what were presumably hours of preparation devising, acquiring and applying the costume, it wouldn't occur to at least one of them that this sort of thing hasn't been acceptable for about 25 years?
    Some ten years ago I attended a chum's 40 birthday party. (Thon Yorkshireman T, you know). It was a fancy dress party. I was quite pleased with my Rhett Butler.

When I walked in and saw him dressed as Samuel L Jackson, with afro wig and boot polish, I almost fainted.

It does rather suggest that some of your charges there may not be exactly of the brightest, doesn't it? I'm trying to imagine how, during what were presumably hours of preparation devising, acquiring and applying the costume, it wouldn't occur to at least one of them that this sort of thing hasn't been acceptable for about 25 years?
    But why isn't it acceptable? I am presuming that they weren't derogatory and therefore were just dressing as two very famous sportswomen. They're not saying that someone's race makes them any more/less of a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Some ten years ago I attended a chum's 40 birthday party. (Thon Yorkshireman T, you know). It was a fancy dress party. I was quite pleased with my Rhett Butler.

When I walked in and saw him dressed as Samuel L Jackson, with afro wig and boot polish, I almost fainted.
    I remember the pictures - of you and v. You grew a moustache for it.

I'm trying to imagine t blacked up thusly. I'm struggling, I must admit.

I would hope nobody took any pictures and put them up on social media, though. I know things are different for northerners, but not that different, surely?

Its quite difficult to understand why they would think they could do it without getting in trouble. It is going to be a very tedious hearing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    But why isn't it acceptable? I am presuming that they weren't derogatory and therefore were just dressing as two very famous sportswomen. They're not saying that someone's race makes them any more/less of a person.
    I hardly think two hairy-arsed rugby players dressing as female tennis players could be taken as a compliment, r.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its quite difficult to understand why they would think they could do it without getting in trouble. It is going to be a very tedious hearing indeed.
    Will there be someone calling for their heads? I'm imagining a white lesbian.

I remember the pictures - of you and v. You grew a moustache for it.

I'm trying to imagine t blacked up thusly. I'm struggling, I must admit.

I would hope nobody took any pictures and put them up on social media, though. I know things are different for northerners, but not that different, surely?
    He's hardly a northerner any more, ensconsed in leafiest Surrey stockbroker belt. I think it was just prior to the whole social media thing,s o he got away with it. One day I will ask him what prompted this lapse of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It evokes decades of racism in the entertainment industry where blacked up white people were preferred to, you know, black people.

It is also one of the many reasons why It Aint Half Hot Mum is no longer considered acceptable for TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It evokes decades of racism in the entertainment industry where blacked up white people were preferred to, you know, black people.

It is also one of the many reasons why It Aint Half Hot Mum is no longer considered acceptable for TV.
    "Qveen Victoria bloody good bloke!"

"Mr lah-di-dah Gunner Graham! You is a poof!"

Classic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He's hardly a northerner any more, ensconsed in leafiest Surrey stockbroker belt.
    So is WES, tbf. Are you suggesting he has naturalised too?