Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Interesting way to spin this story, given the fact that the NHS comes second last in

  1. #1

    Interesting way to spin this story, given the fact that the NHS comes second last in

    the minor matter of 'healthcare outcomes' (i.e. whether you get better or not).

    https://www.newscientist.com/article...ime=1500015436

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    the minor matter of 'healthcare outcomes' (i.e. whether you get better or not).

    https://www.newscientist.com/article...ime=1500015436
    If you treat everyone, you are going to kill more people.

    One may as well marvel at the fact that selective schools achieve better exam results.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    If you treat everyone, you are going to kill more people.

    One may as well marvel at the fact that selective schools achieve better exam results.
    Really? Then why does the Netherlands health service come top in access and second in equity, but sixth in outcomes? By your logic, it should come bottom.

    http://www.commonwealthfund.org/inte...mirror-mirror/

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Really? Then why does the Netherlands health service come top in access and second in equity, but sixth in outcomes? By your logic, it should come bottom.

    http://www.commonwealthfund.org/inte...mirror-mirror/
    Dutch people are healthy though. Not a fair comparison.

    Look at the millions of fat, useless guzzlers the NHS has to try and keep alive. No wonder they are dropping like flies.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Dutch people are healthy though. Not a fair comparison.

    Look at the millions of fat, useless guzzlers the NHS has to try and keep alive. No wonder they are dropping like flies.
    You're wriggling on the hook here, p.

    Face it: the NHS is a bit shīt.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You're wriggling on the hook here, p.

    Face it: the NHS is a bit shīt.
    Its ****ing dreadful but its free.

    There is no pleasing some people.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its ****ing dreadful but its free.

    There is no pleasing some people.
    I'll take that. They should use that as a slogan.

    Of course I won't be boring enough to point out that it's anything but free. That would be tedious.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You're wriggling on the hook here, p.

    Face it: the NHS is a bit shīt.
    Anyway.... the NHS comes out top overall and scores well in every category apart from the ‘everybody dying’ category.

    Also note that category focuses on preventable diseases and mortality across a population, and NOT specifically on outcomes from NHS care.

    It suggests an ageing, unhealthy, disease-ridden population rather than an incompetent, bureaucratic health care system. In other words, the NHS is doing a reasonable job but people are dying anyway.

    Overall, proof it is the best healthcare system in the world.

    And that everybody dies…..

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its ****ing dreadful but its free.
    That's a sweeping generalisation, you know.

    There are a lot of very hard-working people patching up the wounded and repairing the ill. The fact that I've had some negative experiences myself does not turn me against the organisation as a whole.

  10. #10
    Senior Member PSRB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    11,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its ****ing dreadful but its free.

    There is no pleasing some people.
    Would of course be helped if idiots like these had to pay for their healthcare! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-40598537

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •