Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Something vaguely interesting in the wake of recent terrorist attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    SE5? Camberwell?
    More Camel than Camberwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    SE5? Camberwell?
    Postcodes are odd, aren't they? How come SE3 is Blackeath and Kidbrooke but SE5 Camberwell? And who's ever heard of SE4?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. They might refuse to serve you in the artisanal bakery. :shudder:
    Honestly, I had dinner with two blokes last week who insisted that Islamic terrorists were simply psychopathic criminals, no different to any other murderous types.

Presumably he's never read the note left by Michael Adebolajo after butchering Lee Rigby (to pick just one of literally thousands of equivalent examples)

"To my beloved children, know that to fight Allah’s enemies is an obligation the proofs of which are so numerous that but a handful of any of them cuts out the bewitching tongues of the munafiqeen.
    Do not spend your days in endless dispute with the cowardly and foolish if it means that it will delay you meeting Allah’s enemies on the battlefield. Sometimes the cowardly and foolish could be the dearest to you, so be prepared to turn away from them.
    When you set out on this path, do not look left or right.
    Seek shahada, oh my sons, so that we might be raised together and if it’s Allah’s decree that you are not to be in the hearts of the green birds, then be ready for a [deleted] to enter the university of Yousef. Sijn. Be patient there and be firm there and inshallah you will meet your Lord with Him pleased with you. Verily, Allah is with those who are patient.
    If I live beyond this day and you find me talking other than this, then know that perhaps Allah has left me to stray.
    May Allah guide your nation to the truth. Ameen."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Postcodes are odd, aren't they? How come SE3 is Blackeath and Kidbrooke but SE5 Camberwell? And who's ever heard of SE4?
    Back when I cared about such things, it used to annoy me that Croydon didn't have a London postcode, but Norwood did. Always seemed completely arbitrary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Alphabetical innit. Except the wons which are the most central.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Honestly, I had dinner with two blokes last week who insisted that Islamic terrorists were simply psychopathic criminals, no different to any other murderous types.

Presumably he's never read the note left by Michael Adebolajo after butchering Lee Rigby (to pick just one of literally thousands of equivalent examples)

"To my beloved children, know that to fight Allah’s enemies is an obligation the proofs of which are so numerous that but a handful of any of them cuts out the bewitching tongues of the munafiqeen.
    Do not spend your days in endless dispute with the cowardly and foolish if it means that it will delay you meeting Allah’s enemies on the battlefield. Sometimes the cowardly and foolish could be the dearest to you, so be prepared to turn away from them.
    When you set out on this path, do not look left or right.
    Seek shahada, oh my sons, so that we might be raised together and if it’s Allah’s decree that you are not to be in the hearts of the green birds, then be ready for a [deleted] to enter the university of Yousef. Sijn. Be patient there and be firm there and inshallah you will meet your Lord with Him pleased with you. Verily, Allah is with those who are patient.
    If I live beyond this day and you find me talking other than this, then know that perhaps Allah has left me to stray.
    May Allah guide your nation to the truth. Ameen."
    Well there is a fine line between religious fundamentalism and mental illness, of course. And it's a line that apologists for Islam are only too happy to exploit rather than say admit that Islam itself might be a wee bit problematic.

Well there is a fine line between religious fundamentalism and mental illness, of course. And it's a line that apologists for Islam are only too happy to exploit rather than say admit that Islam itself might be a wee bit problematic.
    I don't think there's a fine line between the two at all. You think the millions upon millions of Muslims across the world who hold fundamentalist views are mentally ill, including the masses of highly educated, highly functioning individuals among them?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I don't think there's a fine line between the two at all. You think the millions upon millions of Muslims across the world who hold fundamentalist views are mentally ill, including the masses of highly educated, highly functioning individuals among them?
    Fair point, but you might want to believe that if you were in the mental health issues business. Everyone has the right to try and make a living, after all.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Not only apologists; practically everyone else too.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Fair point, but you might want to believe that if you were in the mental health issues business. Everyone has the right to try and make a living, after all.
    I'm not sure there's much money in propagating the idea that everyone who holds fundamentalist Islamic views is mentally ill. If anything, it's much more likely to lose you your job.

There may be some mileage in suggesting this about those who resort to actual violence, but they are still thankfully too rare to represent a viable business model.