Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Something vaguely interesting in the wake of recent terrorist attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've never said I'm half-Irish. I'm an Englishman of Irish extraction who supports the England cricket team, the Irish rugby team and doesn't care about the England football team. These are not inherently contradictory positions, since none of these things compromises my inherent loyalty to Queen and Country.

Britain has been a vaguely coherent mish-mash of four different countries (well, three and Wales) as long as it has existed. Irishness, Scottishness and Welshness are as much parts of the British identity as Englishness, so anomalies such as me are bound to result from such a loose arrangement. That's quite different to multi-cultural nonsense.
    We are not British.

You can shove it up your hole effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    So.... what happened to your Venn diagram then?
    What I'm saying in no way contradicts that. Of course extremism of all sorts will attract those with mental issues who seek the comfort of un-nuanced absolutes. However, the fact that there is crossover on the Venn diagram doesn't mean that everyone - or even a majority - of those involved in extremist activities is mentally ill.
    Much of the time the 'mental illness' thing is simply a comfort blanket that means we don't have to face up to the fact that sane men can kiss their loved ones goodbye in the morning and, with a light heart, go on to perform acts of profound barbarity the same day because their faith tells them it's OK.
    Last edited by Burney; 07-12-2017 at 02:55 PM.

I've never said I'm half-Irish. I'm an Englishman of Irish extraction who supports the England cricket team, the Irish rugby team and doesn't care about the England football team. These are not inherently contradictory positions, since none of these things compromises my inherent loyalty to Queen and Country.

Britain has been a vaguely coherent mish-mash of four different countries (well, three and Wales) as long as it has existed. Irishness, Scottishness and Welshness are as much parts of the British identity as Englishness, so anomalies such as me are bound to result from such a loose arrangement. That's quite different to multi-cultural nonsense.
    But you have a choice, and we see now how dangerous this wishy-washiness can be.

I'm absolved, of course, because at a casual glance, I look African
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    We are not British.

You can shove it up your hole effectively.
    As a nation, you've been British longer than you haven't. Now shut your face.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    But you have a choice, and we see now how dangerous this wishy-washiness can be.

I'm absolved, of course, because at a casual glance, I look African
    I look Irish. Unfortunately.

As a nation, you've been British longer than you haven't. Now shut your face.
    Well..... formally part of the United Kingdom, but not actually british. Its all in the name.

What I'm saying in no way contradicts that. Of course extremism of all sorts will attract those with mental issues who seek the comfort of un-nuanced absolutes. However, the fact that there is crossover on the Venn diagram doesn't mean that everyone - or even a majority - of those involved in extremist activities is mentally ill.
    Much of the time the 'mental illness' thing is simply a comfort blanket that means we don't have to face up to the fact that sane men can kiss their loved ones goodbye in the morning and, with a light heart, go on to perform acts of profound barbarity the same day because their faith tells them it's OK.
    That's disappointing. I do like a good Venn diagram.

Right. Our own side does it all the time. We earn medals for it though, rather than virgins
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Well..... formally part of the United Kingdom, but not actually british. Its all in the name.
    And, geographically speaking, a part of the 'British' Isles

I like to think of them as basically welshers but more retarded.

British Isles.

I fear this might trigger sw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles