Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: United agree £75m fee for Lukaku

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I think, if you want to win the league, you haven't really got time to nurture young strikers. Sadly, there's no patience anymore. It's just as well to let them develop somewhere else and even buy them back, if necessary, later when they're ready.

I gather we've been watching our new chap for many years but Wenger was never really convinced. Until now, after the last couple of years AL has had.
    I think this has been one of the main reasons we have failed to win league titles under Wenger. The number of players he has signed from other PL teams is ridiculously low. I can only think of a handful. Chelsea, United and City have signed key players without needing to wait for them to adjust. Far lower risk that they won't be an instant success

Quote Originally Posted by Brentwood View Post
    I think this has been one of the main reasons we have failed to win league titles under Wenger. The number of players he has signed from other PL teams is ridiculously low. I can only think of a handful. Chelsea, United and City have signed key players without needing to wait for them to adjust. Far lower risk that they won't be an instant success
    All about the money, innit. They can afford it, we couldn't.

Of course, we're talking about good players, right?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Good player. Wenger out.
    Better than the one we bought iyo? 50% better?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Better than the one we bought iyo? 50% better?
    I think our lad is a good player, perfectly happy with his arrival. I think Lukaku is a very good player but I only add the word "very" as I am a lot more familiar with the latter.

He is perhaps a less risky signing in that he is already very acclimatized to the league, he may not even need to move house though I am sure he will.

Better is probably only something which can be judged in hindsight and then it is loaded in the sense of whether the player is judged on his own merits or based on the success or failure of the side in the time period.

I wouldn't be too hung up on comparing both and using the fees as a gauge. They are bigger than us, richer than us and more willing to spend such sums than us. It's also a move between PL clubs which we both know is fúcked up.
    Last edited by SWv2; 07-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Our Everton correspondent is less than impressed with him. Has to be said so is his new manager, otherwise why sell him a couple of years ago
    I always find him a bit unconvincing. His first touch can be a bit erratic. Not sure he's good enough to be rated as one of the elite strikers or, to be Man Utd's main CF. Not a patch on Zlatan. I would've been a lot more worried if they'd got Griezmann.

I think our lad is a good player, perfectly happy with his arrival. I think Lukaku is a very good player but I only add the word "very" as I am a lot more familiar with the latter.

He is perhaps a less risky signing in that he is already very acclimatized to the league, he may not even need to move house though I am sure he will.

Better is probably only something which can be judged in hindsight and then it is loaded in the sense of whether the player is judged on his own merits or based on the success or failure of the side in the time period.

I wouldn't be too hung up on comparing both and using the fees as a gauge. They are bigger than us, richer than us and more willing to spend such sums than us. It's also a move between PL clubs which we both know is fúcked up.
    They're calling AL the new Ian Wright. Well, Gerard Houlier is. I think we'd all take that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    They're calling AL the new Ian Wright. Well, Gerard Houlier is. I think we'd all take that.
    He is a good wee player. I don't think it is an exaggeration of the facts to say that every single time I saw him last season on BT he scored which I noted as we were so heavily linked to him last summer. He is a livewire so team him up with our creative talent and you would hope to see a healthy return.

I would expect Lukaku also to do well as he will be surrounded by better players.

It's a simple equation I admit.

Good player. Wenger out.
    I think abig chunk of that fee is worth it just to get shot of Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think abig chunk of that fee is worth it just to get shot of Rooney
    Jo Johnson. He might save us. Looks like Jacob is having none of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Jo Johnson. He might save us. Looks like Jacob is having none of it.
    He was my MP when I lived in Petts Wood. Is shook his hand.
    He's like Boris, but credible. Bit ginger, though.