Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bands that you're supposed to think are great, but who you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

The reason is he took all his influences from blues and others. And then many of the guitarists who came later took inspiration from Page.

It covers a lot of stuff I need to fill. There is too much information available for today's guitarist in fact too much. I am going back to basics. All I had when I started when I was 16 was a ****ty acoustic and a pitch pipe and book of chords.
    You should perhaps then look into Page with the Yardbirds where any tangible influence from "the blues" (man) would perhaps be more obvious.

More or less every musician from the 60s could claim influence from the blues, Chuck Berry, JLL but then that was the music that immediately went before them. Not so easy then to identify any influence as their career progressed.

Lemmy from Motorhead, biggest influence on his career (other than drugs)? The Beatles.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The Kinks.

There. I've said it.
    I like the Kinks. Did you know that the first gig that the Davies boys played together was in that pub in Fortis Green where we went after f's funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I can't get into Pink Floyd at all.

I love Led Zep though. but it's more of a studying the guitar sort of way.
    Pink Floyd is very much a matter of vibe, man.

I could never get into them, until one winter when I shared a house with a highly enthusiastic stoner. I spent about 8 months constantly stoned, with Floyd blasting out from his very expensive hifi system. I've liked them ever since, but would struggle to listen to an album all the way through if I was straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I like the Kinks. Did you know that the first gig that the Davies boys played together was in that pub in Fortis Green where we went after f's funeral?
    Really? Actually, now you mention it, did you know that at the time? It's ringing a tiny bell. Nice pub, that was. By the end of the day I may have been a littler drunk.

My main problem is that 'Waterloo Sunset' brings me out in hives.

Pink Floyd is very much a matter of vibe, man.

I could never get into them, until one winter when I shared a house with a highly enthusiastic stoner. I spent about 8 months constantly stoned, with Floyd blasting out from his very expensive hifi system. I've liked them ever since, but would struggle to listen to an album all the way through if I was straight.
    As I said the other day, I used to find their po-faced, middle-aged angst a bit ridiculous coming from a bunch of 20-something pop stars.

Now that I'm middle-aged and angst-ridden myself, I'm starting to see the good in them.

Really? Actually, now you mention it, did you know that at the time? It's ringing a tiny bell. Nice pub, that was. By the end of the day I may have been a littler drunk.

Was 'By the end of the day' a deliberate Kinks reference? If so, it was rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Was 'By the end of the day' a deliberate Kinks reference? If so, it was rather good.
    Would that it had been.

Did you know that at the time? It's ringing a tiny bell. Nice pub, that was. By the end of the day I may have been a littler drunk.
    Your lyrical reply is very Kinky
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    When one gets older, one realises that Led Zeppelin were really very, very silly.
    And of course, what we really want is good, sensible rock bands.

People who don't like Zeppelin tend to fall into two camps: complete ****s, and those with an axe to grind, such as the grumpy old **** I spoke to in a pub the other week who lectured me on Tom Waits and other unlistenable crap.

I don't like Pink Floyd after Syd. My main one is probably the Small Faces. I just don't get it at all.

The (female) busker outside my window by the Molly Malone statue is currently doing a particularly dire version of Waterloo Sunset.

She will be back later today and will do it again, then again tomorrow. And Friday.