Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Just dug this out of the Awinb archives. Not a bad call from the boy Monty there,

Just dug this out of the Awinb archives. Not a bad call from the boy Monty there,

Clive, imo.

From almost a year ago...

Monty: "I'm a little bit surprised that you so casually dismiss the possibility of a Corbyn-led labour party mobilising the youth vote. I obviously pray that you're right, but am not *quite* so utterly certain as you."

Burney: "The youth vote has all the value of ice on a hot day - they don't turn out and are statistically fairly insignificant. Also, remember which 'youth' you're talking about with Corbyn - well-to-do, middle class graduates or undergraduates. I don't think the young denizens of the council estates will be heading en masse to the voting booth to support Jezza."

Monty: "We know that historically this is all true. I just worry about the power of social media, allied with the fact that the referendum *has* politicised many, many people and the momentum of that *could* carry over to a General Election. Especially given that the negativity over the EU result and the perceived lies told by the out campaigners continues to dominate the narrative."

http://www.awimb.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=youth

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Clive, imo.

Monty: "I'm a little bit surprised that you so casually dismiss the possibility of a Corbyn-led labour party mobilising the youth vote. I obviously pray that you're right, but am not *quite* so utterly certain as you."

Burney: "The youth vote has all the value of ice on a hot day - they don't turn out and are statistically fairly insignificant. Also, remember which 'youth' you're talking about with Corbyn - well-to-do, middle class graduates or undergraduates. I don't think the young denizens of the council estates will be heading en masse to the voting booth to support Jezza."

Monty: "We know that historically this is all true. I just worry about the power of social media, allied with the fact that the referendum *has* politicised many, many people and the momentum of that *could* carry over to a General Election. Especially given that the negativity over the EU result and the perceived lies told by the out campaigners continues to dominate the narrative."

I would congratulate your perspicacity, but would also point out that the youth vote - while bigger than expected - is actually overstated. The real killer in this election was the Brexit protest vote by 35-44 year-olds that nearly put a man who is as red as a baboon's arse into Number 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I would congratulate your perspicacity, but would also point out that the youth vote - while bigger than expected - is actually overstated. The real killer in this election was the Brexit protest vote by 35-44 year-olds that nearly put a man who is as red as a baboon's arse into Number 10.
    A Brexit protest vote would surely have been for Lib Dems, or SNP. Neither of whom did particularly well.

Not that I am claiming to know why everybody voted the way they did, to be sure.

Clive, imo.

I suggest you searched at length for this in an effort to announce "Look at me, I was right" when in fact it is still simply a case of opinion v opinion.

While you may appear the victor here this whole sorry affair does not reflect well on you.

Yes, well I cover the Brexit effect in my second post in the thread.

I predicted 1) the untapped power of social media and how this could mobilise the youth vote 2) that a GE could become a de facto Brexit protest vote

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Last edited by Monty92; 07-03-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I suggest you searched at length for this in an effort to announce "Look at me, I was right" when in fact it is still simply a case of opinion v opinion.

While you may appear the victor here this whole sorry affair does not reflect well on you.
    Well, I went into the search function, inserted my username, searched for the word 'youth' and found the post I was looking for. Took me all of 15 seconds.

You probably spent longer side-combing your hair this morning.

Well, I went into the search function, inserted my username, searched for the word 'youth' and found the post I was looking for. Took me all of 15 seconds.

You probably spent longer side-combing your hair this morning.
    I have not combed my hair in many years.